Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 30-day fix-me list

Member Looking for Dirt

The 30-day fix-me list

I went out to give the seats a cleaning and noticed a small wet spot under the new XK. I crawled under it (never could have done that with the mini) and found a small amount of coolant. Bummer. Its coming from the front of the engine. :-(

Pulled off the funky air box/tube part and saw that the throttle body had a little oil in it. Opened the valve by hand and holy cow that is nasty on the other side. Double crap! A few forum searches later and I see that the Hemi is notorious for blowing oil into the intake so I'll be buying a catch can sooner rather than later for it.

The coolant leak looks to be coming from the water pump area. Since I still have the 30 day warranty I don't feel a burning need to start tearing apart the engine to look for it. Its going back to carmax on Wednesday for the headlight/wiper issue so I'll just add this to the list of things that I find wrong in the first 30 days.

I also may have a power steering pump going as that is where the whine is coming from. It was either that or the AC compressor and when i turn off the AC and can see that the compressor isn't turning the whine is still there so I'm thinking power steering pump may be weak on it.

While I was under the jeep i noticed some rust on the under body and on the suspension parts. Not too worried about it as it didn't look too bad. Do you guys go back and treat the under carriage for rust? Thoughts?

So far:
    1. Auto headlights...no work in auto
    2. Wipers don't work in delay
    3. Coolant leak
    4. Whine from power steering pump
    06 5.7 Hemi Limited XK
    06 4.7 XK

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    If the coolant leak is coming from the weeping hole on the water pump that means failure is coming sooner then later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Junior Member Looking for Dirt
    The whine on mine was the AC compressor... it was there with the AC on or off. I put a reman on it I got off Ebay and no more whine.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    If the coolant leak is coming from the weeping hole on the water pump that means failure is coming sooner then later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is why I just put it back together because I knew that I wasn't going to mess with changing out a water pump this weekend especially when its under their warranty.
    06 5.7 Hemi Limited XK
    06 4.7 XK

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdid View Post
    The whine on mine was the AC compressor... it was there with the AC on or off. I put a reman on it I got off Ebay and no more whine.
    Good to know. I'm guessing that it starts as a whine and ultimately ends as a seized bearing and smoking belt? I'll try to get them to take a look at the compressor and see if that is what it is.
    06 5.7 Hemi Limited XK
    06 4.7 XK

Junior Member Looking for Dirt
    luckily i got to mine before it got that bad. I am pretty sure it went out from being submerged then no running for 2 weeks while my new Hemi was installed...DOH!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    For the underbody... you can sand the rust off and paint it, this is what I do. For some parts, you can send, paint, and/or plastidip them. I may actually try this for some things.

Also, what if you have a very subtle whine in steering (in one direction) that seems to go away after it warms up? I noticed this after my last trip to the Uwharrie. There was no steering fluid, so I topped it off.
    Last edited by AJeepZJ; 02-06-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Checked fluid levels and it doesn't seem to matterif I am turning the wheel or not so I am leaning toward AC compressor. I ll update this when I find out more on Wednesday.
    06 5.7 Hemi Limited XK
    06 4.7 XK

Member Looking for Dirt
    Dropped the Hemi off at the dealership tonight and picked up the loaner....its a Nissan Versa. I didn't realize how much I liked the commander until I drove that pop can home. I'm pretty sure that the hamster under the hood will forever hate me. I'm reminded of the old geo metro's. :-(
    06 5.7 Hemi Limited XK
    06 4.7 XK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information