Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Criket's garage

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    I"m not sure on proper amount for best performance on this. The way I look at it, SOLID put the fill plug there for a reason. It's kinda like adding a oil pan with more fluid capacity to a motor or a deeper pan to a transmission. They allow more fluid/oil. I'm sure there's someone out there who can explain why but I don't know the answer.

I'll run what level I have in it and report back in a few weeks of driving. I'll be the guinea pig on this. If it fails, then I'm going balls out on a axle swap.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Like Toby said you can add bigger oil pans to hold more fluid with no issues and that system is under pressure unlike the axle that is not under a fluid pressure. I can't think of any reason adding the extra fluid in combination with the larger cover would cause an issue. In fact jeep probably set the stock one up the way did to save money needing less fluid for each jeep that rolled off the line

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I have these on the TJ now. I would not want to put that much in, i filled mine to where i could just reach the oil with my finger tip. Overfilling can blow the seal and cause damage, at least that is what I read. Who knows though.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Yes... over filling can lead to the diff oil working past the axle seals, and/or getting pushed out the breather tubes.

Just drove my WK 20 miles in 2+ inches of snow. I went and picked up my wife from work. Her tires on her suv are pretty slick for snow.

As far as I know, the rear end is still there and working, haha.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Quote Originally Posted by criket View Post
    Just drove my WK 20 miles in 2+ inches of snow. I went and picked up my wife from work. Her tires on her suv are pretty slick for snow.

As far as I know, the rear end is still there and working, haha.
    SNOW!

Is the cover larger or is the hole just higher? If its a larger cover even with the extra fluid the level should sit the same inside as the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Is the cover larger or is the hole just higher? If its a larger cover even with the extra fluid the level should sit the same inside as the stock.
    A little of both. The cover is deeper (that's why I snapped the pic showing the clearance to the track bar) and the plug is higher by about 1/2" or so. BTW, the plug is threaded so that alone is worth the upgrade.

Well, just went outside during my lunch break to look at it. Oil has come out at the breather tube. Guess I'll pump some out this evening. Blah....

That sucks! Well at least you took one for the team I would of filled it up to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information