Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: more lift to the superlift

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    OK... took some measurements and did some estimations to get a better idea of what each cut spring will be like.

Assumptions:
    5500lb vehicle weight, 45/55 distribution = ~1240 lb on each front tire
    Vehicle weight reacted @19" from LCA pivot, Spring force @ 9.5" from LCA pivot = 2480 lbf per strut assembly
    All forces at 90 degree angles (ok since this is just comparative purposes)
    Spring height in strut assembly = 11.75"

With this, I decided to look at how much the strut assembly will compress given the different coil springs. Using the OME991 with 1 coil cut as a baseline I then can estimate how the different OME990 configurations will change the ride height as it relates to phunkydude's XK.

Strut assembly compression = D

OME991 with 1 Coil Cut:
    Spring height = 12.76"
    K = 710 lbf/in
    D = 2.48"
    Conclusion = To bolt the suspension back together, the strut needs to compress ~1.5" IIRC. So I think the following estimates are probably close since this would've given phunkydude about 2" wheel down travel from his static ride height.

OME990 un-cut:
    Spring height = 14.56"
    K = 530 lbf/in
    D = 1.87"
    Conclusion = an un-cut 990 spring will be worse than the 991 with a cut coil

OME990 with 1/2 Coil Cut:
    Spring height = 13.74"
    K = 560 lbf/in
    D = 2.44"
    Conclusion = This should give an equivalent ride height to phunkydude's, not including differences in weight from accessories, but with a much lower spring rate that will help ride quality.

OME990 with 1 Coil Cut:
    Spring height = 12.92"
    K = 600 lbf/in
    D = 2.96"
    Conclusion = This should give approximately 1" lower static ride height than phunkydude's (again not including accessory weight difference), and with a spring rate thats in-between the OME options, but closer to the 991s

Since these are just rough estimates and I dont know the difference in weight between my vehicle and phunky's, I'll probably try cutting 1/2 coil off OME990's to get my own baseline and then work from there.
    Last edited by Matt; 09-16-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Junior Member Looking for Dirt kmax's Avatar
    Hey Matt -

I couldn't find paperwork indicating the OME springs I had purchased. I probably included it in the box I sent to Tom (Phunkeydude) when he bought those OME springs from me. If his garage thread says 991's, I would believe that.
    Ken
    Colorado
    '06 Ltd, 5.7, QDII, 4" Superlift SSR + Deaver front coils, GL4x4 bumper, Smittybilt XRC10/synthetic rope, Flowmaster 50, aFe intake, 4xG rock rails, Rola rack, stupid little CB, 1.5" spacers and 285/70-17 KM2's on Moab's. Sold.

Sounds good. Looks like there's definitely some merit to trying the same method with the 990s.

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmax View Post
    Hey Matt -

I couldn't find paperwork indicating the OME springs I had purchased. I probably included it in the box I sent to Tom (Phunkeydude) when he bought those OME springs from me. If his garage thread says 991's, I would believe that.

What did you pay for your custom coils, if I may ask.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Member Looking for Dirt
    Anyone with the Superlift 4" lift, what is the actual length of the upper strut spacers?
    And the distance the lower control arm pivot points are lowered with the kit?
    Last edited by cmdr jim; 09-26-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    06 Red Jeep XK 3.7L V6 QT1, RC 2" with 1/2", 1-1/4" Wheel Spacers, Rubicon Moab Rims, Grabber AT2 LT265/70-17, Rocky Road Supersliders, Fastman Throttle-body, K&N Cold Air Filter, JBA Headers, Front Tow Hooks, 2" receiver front & rear, Wired for winch front & rear, ARB Onboard Air, Trans Temp Gauge, Aux Trans Cooler, Sport Roof Crossbars, Skid Plates, RS5010 Rear Shocks, JKS 2034 Front & 2001 Rear Disconnects

Member Looking for Dirt
    LCU pivot points 3" lower, Strut Spacer 4" length.
    06 Red Jeep XK 3.7L V6 QT1, RC 2" with 1/2", 1-1/4" Wheel Spacers, Rubicon Moab Rims, Grabber AT2 LT265/70-17, Rocky Road Supersliders, Fastman Throttle-body, K&N Cold Air Filter, JBA Headers, Front Tow Hooks, 2" receiver front & rear, Wired for winch front & rear, ARB Onboard Air, Trans Temp Gauge, Aux Trans Cooler, Sport Roof Crossbars, Skid Plates, RS5010 Rear Shocks, JKS 2034 Front & 2001 Rear Disconnects

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Yup and that's why the superlift provides more lift up front than the BDS
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Junior Member Looking for Dirt kmax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    What did you pay for your custom coils, if I may ask.
    lekmedm - They ran me about 400 bucks. I also had ordered a brand new original equipment coil from a local dealer so I could send it to Deaver to match it dimensionally. That ran me another 85 bucks (and I still have it - not much you can do with one coil). But it was worth it to me since the custom springs installed without a single issue. So that modification totaled around 500 dollars, but I had legitimate lift, with good down-travel to limits that didn't trash the balljoints.
    Ken
    Colorado
    '06 Ltd, 5.7, QDII, 4" Superlift SSR + Deaver front coils, GL4x4 bumper, Smittybilt XRC10/synthetic rope, Flowmaster 50, aFe intake, 4xG rock rails, Rola rack, stupid little CB, 1.5" spacers and 285/70-17 KM2's on Moab's. Sold.

Senior Member Getting Dirty oleblue27's Avatar
    I know you said it cant be done.. but I talked to txbajacommander personally and he told me that he has the OME struts and springs up front along with the Superlift spacer. He told me he didnt have to do any cutting to the springs. I'm wanting to do the same thing he did... I have the same year and same engine commander that he has, and i'm also 2wd. My question is.. which springs would I be better off going with to do this? the XK light duty or XK medium duty?

What springs did txbajacommander use?

Based on Kmax and Phunkydude, as well as Omelet on JF (all of whom who have done this), I wouldnt even attempt it with the OME HD (XK medium duty) springs. So if you have a choice, give the OME MD (XK light duty) springs a try and let us know how it works out for ya.

That'll help me figure out how much of a coil I want to cut off as well

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information