Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: more lift to the superlift

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmax View Post
    I've tried this. I tried installing OME med-duty springs after I loaded up the front end with a winch and bumper (back when Ross was making them). We couldn't even get the passenger side strut back in the Jeep.
    Bumping this thread back up since I'm planning on doing this in the foreseeable future. Though i'm concerned.... you had all those issues with med-duty springs?

I want to clarify something here:
    OME rates the springs as light duty and medium duty for XK's, and the SAME springs as medium and heavy duty for WK's. We (onlline XK/WK community) generally refer to the OME springs in terms of the WK designations of medium and heavy duty.

Thus my question: Did you have issues with the XK medium duty springs, which are actually the WK heavy duty springs?

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I don't think it matters either way. Your still going to have to chop a whole coil off. Remember he has the added weight of a steel bumper and winch that you don't.
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 09-07-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    I don't think it matters either way. Your still going to have to chop a whole could off. Remember he has the added weight of a steel bumper and winch that you don't.
    It definitely matters if he had the WK MD springs since they're weaker than the XK MD springs.

Remember:
    WK MD = XK LD
    WK HD = XK MD

So when he said MD springs, if he meant XK MD springs then that's what I have and ill consider cutting a coil off. However if he meant WK MD springs, then those are weaker than what I have and ill therefore want to sell my springs and go with a different method of additional lift.
    Last edited by Matt; 09-07-2012 at 05:47 AM.

And thinking about it some more.... if he did have the XK MD springs (WK HD), which is what I currently have, I may consider swapping them out for the XK LD (WK MD) springs to mitigate some of the issues phunky had which may allow me to cut less than a full coil off.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    And thinking about it some more.... if he did have the XK MD springs (WK HD), which is what I currently have, I may consider swapping them out for the XK LD (WK MD) springs to mitigate some of the issues phunky had which may allow me to cut less than a full coil off.
    What issues did phunkeydude have? I really don't see an issue what so ever. Order the superlift, keep your HD coils, cut off a coil, install and be sad cause my jeep is still bigger sitting on brand new 34 inch MT/R's. Bwhahaha
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Are you talking Old Man Emu or stock springs? I was under the impression that OME springs were rated the same for both the XK and WK...
    07 WK Limited, 3.0 CRD, QDII

You're missing the part about the difference in coils, if my coils are stiffer I'll need to cut more off than phunky did.
    His issue was the ride was stiffer from the cut coil .... hence why kmax had custom coils made. so, already starting with a higher spring rate + having to cut more coil off = even stiffer suspension. That's the issue. It all boils down to which OME spring they tried using..... hence my question

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    What issues did phunkeydude have? I really don't see an issue what so ever. Order the superlift, keep your HD coils, cut off a coil, install and be sad cause my jeep is still bigger sitting on brand new 34 inch MT/R's. Bwhahaha
    Just let me get the 33's Ill chop up the XK for them, I do not care!!!
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

EDIT: Brain fart.... these part numbers are the REAR Springs

So just because i've been thinking about this and had a theory, I had to put some numbers to it and found something interesting.

OME992 = WK MD = XK LD = 13.6" free height, 7.2 coils, 240 lbf/in, 17mm wire
    OME993 = WK HD = XK MD = 13.6" free height, 6.6 coils, 280 lbf/in, 18mm wire

OME992 with 1 coil removed:
    11.7" free height, 6.2 coils, 280 lbf/in <---Note that this is like running the OME993 spring rate and 2" less pre-load in the assembly

OME993 with 1 coil removed:
    11.5" free height, 5.6 coils, 330 lbf/in

Based on this, I think I'm going to try an OME992 with 1/2 coil removed:
    12.7" free height, 6.7 coils, 260 lbf/in <---- This will give a spring rate in between the OME HD/MD springs, and an inch less preload in the assembly. So it should ride good, and if needed I can always cut another half coil off.

Note that free heights are estimations due to the fact that the top side of the coil closed/ground. But their relative differences to each other should be maintained for comparison purposes.

But still need to know whether kmax/phunk used the OME992 or OME993 spring. I have a feeling, based on the "stiff ride" comment that they cut down an OME993 spring and ended up with a 330 spring rate.
    Last edited by Matt; 09-16-2012 at 05:17 AM.

My question is, how do you figure out the spring rate of a coil that has been cut down???

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information