Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CV Weak Link

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    Thanks for the info! So are these the best quality aftermarket shaft we have available?
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Can new ones be bought from the dealer? Might be worth giving that route a shot... remanufactured shafts may be hit or miss for the quality control on the vendor who make the original casings. An OEM part in a case like this may have more controlled specs (material, heat treat, tolerance, etc).

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    I'm waiting for someone to try the SRT CV's and see what happens there.

If I was you dude, I'd take a piece of that casting that broke, call the manufacture (or NAPA to get the number) and call customer service. Send them that piece of casting that broke. Inform them about the weak housing. They should look into the problem and try to resolve it. Sometimes they may even send you a free CV or something.

At least thats what I do sometimes when we have quality issues where I work.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

^^that's a good idea. Would also check the rest of the casting to see if there are any part numbers or contract numbers from the vendor. Could very well be a lower grade cast since they doubt we'd be using them offroad like this (most CVs that i've replaced at the shop were due to the boots wearing, you'll never break a cast like that on road)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Not sure how much it would be but if you break it they'll buy it
    https://www.rcvperformance.com/store...9f59eb95818542

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    ^^that's a good idea. Would also check the rest of the casting to see if there are any part numbers or contract numbers from the vendor. Could very well be a lower grade cast since they doubt we'd be using them offroad like this (most CVs that i've replaced at the shop were due to the boots wearing, you'll never break a cast like that on road)
    Yea the main reason for informing the manufacture is to inform them of the problem, not to bitch at them. Sorry if I came off like that. They may have had a bad production run that day, materials not mixed well, heat no hot enough, or something else.

At my work, when a customer calls with a complaint, most of the time we give them a credit. I have sometimes sent them a free 40 lb sample of our product to make up for the issue. I'd rather lose $200 of product on a free sample than to lose a customer that buys 2-3 truck loads a week. But that's my point of view.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Quote Originally Posted by criket View Post
    Yea the main reason for informing the manufacture is to inform them of the problem, not to bitch at them. Sorry if I came off like that.
    I never thought you were impying to "bitch at them".... that never gets you anywhere.

Having the contract/vendor/etc numbers off the cast would help them track down where the housings were originally made. That's the first step in finding out the root cause.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    Custom shafts are worth checking out but my main concern is whether the casting is designed to be the weak link in the front drive. Changing the passenger side axle out was a six-hour job, so a CV swap is far preferable. Unless we have access to the Jeep designers, the only way to find out is by experience. Any suggestions?

One of my buddies on the run thought that the casting looked 'pretty coarse-grained' for such a critical part. I think I will pursue a conversation with the folks at NAPA tomorrow just to see what they suggest. There are no exposed vendor part numbers on my spare shaft that I could see. I wish now that I had saved the pieces from the original OEM part to compare.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I guess to try it you have to be willing to keep upgrading parts as they break. Or it will workout nothing else breaks. Lots of risk for the first person to give that a try. But custom drive shafts aren't that much considering I guess. Or by the time your done you have a bullet proof drivetrain and a empty bank account. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's a common conversation across every 4x4 (IFS) community i've been on that we'd rather have the CV's break than the gear case or carrier grenade.

It seems as though these are breaking way too easily IMO.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information