Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: CV Weak Link

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar

Question

Here's a funkadelic thought...

Anyone ever tried to install a Dodge truck manual transmission into their Commander?

The reason I ask is, I've only 4-Lo'd it ONCE in snow since buying mine in October - during a heavy squall when I happened to be 'hill climbing' here in Pittsburgh. This being my FIRST 4x4 with an automatic transmission, I noticed how the transmission/transfer case liked to bind up, sitting in traffic, and I had to let off the brake a bit, to allow the drivetrain to 'unbind.' I NEVER felt that binding sensation in the geartrain in my old '79 Bronco with the Borg Warner T-18 tranny and NP205 transfer case.

Or is something completely unrelated, putting stress on your CV joint?
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Here's a funkadelic thought...

Anyone ever tried to install a Dodge truck manual transmission into their Commander?

The reason I ask is, I've only 4-Lo'd it ONCE in snow since buying mine in October - during a heavy squall when I happened to be 'hill climbing' here in Pittsburgh. This being my FIRST 4x4 with an automatic transmission, I noticed how the transmission/transfer case liked to bind up, sitting in traffic, and I had to let off the brake a bit, to allow the drivetrain to 'unbind.' I NEVER felt that binding sensation in the geartrain in my old '79 Bronco with the Borg Warner T-18 tranny and NP205 transfer case.

Or is something completely unrelated, putting stress on your CV joint?
    That's an idea but I think mounting a clutch pedal and master cylinder could be problematic.

I don't have a clue what the computer is doing sometimes during power 'surges' while climbing. I would assume most torque would be directed to the rear wheels so it's puzzling why the front driver's CV snaps so easily.

FYI: I broke my fourth (YES 4th) CV yesterday! I'm in Moab and was doing Flat Iron Mesa in the reverse direction and climbing up Easter Egg Hill when it went. I was up against a rock on the drivers side but wasn't going hard at all. This time the collar was intact and something inside went. We winched the rest of the way up, drove to a flat spot and swapped it out in 45 minutes while the rest of the group ate lunch. (A 3 ft adjustable pry bar is a necessity to pop the shaft!) Finished the trail with no other incidents.

We did the 'Trifecta' (Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim) today with no spare half shaft and a bent tie rod and were pretty nervous but, thankfully, got through OK (didn't drag the new steel bumper on Golden Crack!). Our reasoning was that we could 'adapt or rob' parts from the passenger side spare ;-) if we broke.

At any rate, I have the guys at the NAPA in Rio Rancho checking on a 'quality' issue. They are telling me that the 'new' CV that NAPA lists will be available shortly but I would be happy to 'test' any aftermarket CV one of our sponsors makes available...hint, hint!
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    So are you still rocking the OEM passenger shaft? We need to see some pics from your trip!!!
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Pics
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Snapping them like twigs.... I sure hope you get to the bottom of this before I need a new CV!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    Pics and video are coming. Patience, my friends...
    I'm too busy wheelin' to upload. Sadly, I leave for home tomorrow--hopefully, after Moab Rim!
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    You know, since you are so familiar with the process of replacing a shaft, you should make a write up for everyone! Whet do you say?
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
    You know, since you are so familiar with the process of replacing a shaft, you should make a write up for everyone! Whet do you say?
    Awesome idea

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Soooooo.... i might need a new CV shaft (or two)

What ever came of this? Should I steer clear of NAPA and try another brand? Rockauto has a few different brands for CV's....

Since mine arent completely toast yet (trying to track down a popping noise and think it might be one of the joints going), figured I'd replace them with some aftermarket CV's and keep my OEM ones as spares for the trail.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    I am still using the replacement I got from napa. No complaints.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information