Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wheeling and Traction Control

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    With QT1, it don't matter whether it's on or off. It sucks anyway, lol.

I just use the skinny pedal more liberally
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    With the 3.7L, i would imagine you'd want to turn off anything that cuts power to the engine if you start sliding offroad.

Though what do i know, with my 5.7L and QDII i can just leave it in "Drive" and do just about anything

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    For about a grand we can make your WK QT II..... having 4-low would be a night and day difference!
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    I might be off base but the info that was displayed might be for the QDII people where it will turn it off completely
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Quote Originally Posted by pjmjr508 View Post
    I might be off base but the info that was displayed might be for the QDII people where it will turn it off completely
    Quite possible. I just know mine doesnt turn off completely unless i flip my toggle switch. Which is pretty much unless to me unless I were to get a rear locker. Only having two wheels with power in 4 low isnt fun.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    The only way to completely disable the traction control on our vehicles is to pull the fuse or rig a switch like I have. Trust me on this. Holding down the button until you hear the chime only completely disables the ESP. The traction control still kicks in and applies the brakes to any tire that loses traction. Every time my jeep comes off the pavement I do this method and the traction control still kicks in. My jeep see's some sort of hardcore off roading on a monthly basis.

When I go to Rausch Creek, I put the XK in 4 low and hold down the traction control button until it displays ESP OFF. This only partially disables the traction control system. When a tire comes off the ground, it still applies the brakes to that wheel which kind of fools the open differential, sending power to the opposite wheel allowing you to continue moving forward. I do that method everytime I go offroading (4-low w/esp off) and have no issues climping rocks at RC.

I pulled the traction control fuse once while at RC on a blue trail and wasnt able to go anywhere. Every time a tire would lose traction it would just keep spinning and have no forward momentum. Basically you only have two wheels out of four spinning since the traction control doesnt kick in by applying the brake.
    Well, ya gotta do what experience tells you that works. However, I don't understand why the "limited slip" function of the TCS system should be detrimental to crawling on the rocks. Folk instal LSDs and Detroits on purpose to get that functionality. When disabling the ESP system the limited slip part of the TCS is all that continues to work, and it seems to me that it would be to your advantage.

Just my 0.02
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Senior Member Getting Dirty Ross's Avatar
    Would getting lockers in my 3.7L supplement well for not having 4 high/low?
    2008 3.7L QT-1 dark blue Jeep Commander // 3+" modified OME lift with 3/8" Rocky Road strut spacer // 4" rear SL springs // 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs (Load E) // 1.5" spidertraxx spacers // F-150 Monroe Load Levelers // 4xguard matrix, front guard, belly guard, and rock sliders // 130 watt KC Daylighters - 2 // Airflow snorkel // Thrush welded exhaust // Defender Roof Rack with side ladder // Hypertech Max Energy Programmer

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho787 View Post
    Would getting lockers in my 3.7L supplement well for not having 4 high/low?
    Yes it would help but I would say the money spent on that would be better spent on swapping in nv245 TC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    Well, ya gotta do what experience tells you that works. However, I don't understand why the "limited slip" function of the TCS system should be detrimental to crawling on the rocks. Folk instal LSDs and Detroits on purpose to get that functionality. When disabling the ESP system the limited slip part of the TCS is all that continues to work, and it seems to me that it would be to your advantage.
    Just my 0.02
    I think were confusing eachother now...lol The TCS does continue to work when ESP is off and it does work to my advantage. Without the TCS you just have open front and rear differentials.

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    I think were confusing eachother now...lol The TCS does continue to work when ESP is off and it does work to my advantage. Without the TCS you just have open front and rear differentials.
    Hehehe... Yeah, I'm confused by now as well, so let me take a step back and ask a question or two. The owners manual does not differentiate between the QTII (what you have) and the QDII (what I have), so I'll start with the assumption that ESP and TCS work the same for both.

Without using you toggle switch mod, do you get the "ESP OFF" message on the EVIC when you are in Park and hold down the ESP button for the 5 (or whatever) seconds like the manual says? If you follow this procedure, what is the effect when wheeling?
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information