Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moab Trip Photos

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar

Moab Trip Photos

I just got back from 5 days in 4-wheel heaven. There were four vehicles from Albuquerque and perfect weather.
    On Friday afternoon we had just enough daylight to do the first half of Fins and Things.
    On Saturday, I elected to join up with a group from Salt Lake City doing Flat Iron Rim (in the reverse direction--rated 7). The first major obstacle was called "The Intimidator" and with good reason. The trail came very close to the edge of a 400 foot cliff (and I do mean cliff!). We had to squeeze between a large rock and the edge on a turning, off-camber, ledgey section:

I broke another CV half shaft climbing Easter Egg Hill and had to winch up, but was carrying a spare and in 45 minutes, we were back on the trail again.

One of the last obstacles was called "The Chute" and consisted of a steep 30 ft plunge. The rest of the group winched down, but my buddy Jamie got me to let him drive "Sherman" down unassisted:

'06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

On Sunday, I was without a spare CV so Jamie and I went solo to do just Poison Spider and stay fairly close to civilization, but in a moment of irrationality, decided to do the whole 7-hour "Trifecta" of Poison Spider, Golden Spike, and Gold Bar Rim. Except for a couple of Farabee rentals and some dirt bike, we had the trail to ourselves and made very good time. We finally ran into a large party at the Golden Crack, who had come in from the other side. It was very compforting to have company for the rest of the trail.

Monday morning, we spent getting a bent tie rod straightened and sleeved. After lunch we joined back up with the Albuquerque group to do Hell's Revenge:

Here is some of the action on Hell's Gate:

...and in the Devil's Hot Tub:

We didn't make it and had to winch out.
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000

The Coup de Grace was a Tuesday run of Moab Rim (again solo). Moab Rim has real exposure where a wrong move can send one plummeting over another large cliff. The obstacles are intimidating and challenging.

The Z-Turn:

The Overlook:

...and the return descent:

This was the best trip to Moab yet (my third) and I am really looking forward to the Ultimate Jeep Summit in May!

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Awsome pics! Someday I will make it out to Moab. What happened to the roof of you XK in the rear?
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    What happened to the roof of you XK in the rear?
    I backed into a tree branch last year :-(

Sweet pics! Moab has always been on my bucket list of 4x4in' and mt.biking destination trips. Hopefully I'll get there sooner than later....

Senior Member Getting Dirty ScorpionCrawler's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing.
    Love it.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    You have an amazing XK, and I applaud your 4x4 talents. Amazing. If you walked into a room, I would stand and acknowledge your presence!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    WOW bro that is sweet I've seen all those obstacles in countless videos and mostly JK's on 37-40" tires doing them it was pure delight to see a XK doing those trails just awesome. I'm sure seeing you out there is leaving an impression on the wheeler's as well and changing some perceptions they may have had about the commander.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    WOW bro that is sweet I've seen all those obstacles in countless videos and mostly JK's on 37-40" tires doing them it was pure delight to see a XK doing those trails just awesome. I'm sure seeing you out there is leaving an impression on the wheeler's as well and changing some perceptions they may have had about the commander.

and IFS Jeeps in general.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information