I thought I might add some pictures of the rear tire carrier that I have had for the last four years. It has the three attachment points like was mentioned previously. It attaches to the receiver hitch and creates a new receiver hitch farther out. It also has support brackets that attach to the subframe on either side to anchor it.

The pivoting arm that supports the tire, gas can, and HiLift jack has a large hinge and has a locking pin on the left to secure it. The weight of the entire arm is supported all along the bottom when it is locked so that the hinge does not have stress on it.

This tire carrier was built by Ross Hildebrandt who used to operate as "Get Lost 4X4".

I had mine offset because I do use the rear view camera. The downside is that people cannot see my right rear lights if they are directly behind me or to my left rear. I added more lights. I also never look over my shoulder when backing but rather use the camera and the mirrors.

Now I do not have a dog in the fight but I thought these pictures might stimulate some ideas.

Center mount to receiver.

Side supports mount to subframe. I guess these could be higher with a cutout in the rear plastic bumper for more ground clearance.