Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tire Gate.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty

Tire Gate.

I remember talking Sal a few weekends ago some feasible tire gate options that don't require a hitch OR new bumper. Simple Bolt On. (I like my bumper, lol).

I was thinking of this idea, and I'd like to run it by you (S.A.) and the group to see what your thoughts are on it. The idea is to use the support sub-pillars below much in the same way that the 4xG Rear mounts to them. Run some some steal that exits from underneath from the pillars fits between the 4xG Rear and bumper, but does NOT block the hitch. So this means that it these two pieces of steel will have to run just on the outside of the hitch (but still within the 4xG gap) I'll provide some pics and a little drawing in a couple hours. Once it arrives to the hitch, 2 'elbow's can be installed that will allow these two arms to swing down to allow access to the rear gate and window. From here the arms run vertically at a 45degree angle where these will then meet and can be welded together. A mount or fixture appropriate for affixing a wheel and tire can then be welded in the location of the adjoined 45degree angled arms. License plate bracket can be installed on an arm. Wiring available for lighting the plate can made available too. Hope I explained this thoroughly.

Comments, Concerns, Criticisms????

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Last edited by Sal-XK; 03-15-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Something like that, but mine would use a lot less metal, lol. But it uses the same concept that I was describing of using the support pillars below. The way that one is mounted would interfere with my 4xG rear. I was thinking of something that would accommodate the rear skid.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I wouldn't be opposed to something that required trimming the bottom edge of the bumper either so we don't lose ground clearance. I was thinking of designing something like this a while back.... just never got started with it (once I start something it consumes me until I finish. Lol so I'm very careful about when I start projects like that)

COMPLETELY changed my idea, when I started looking at the Jeep and how I wanted to do it. I ended up not liking it, lmao. BUT I really liked this idea. Tell me what you guys think!

There are 2 mounting locations, 4 bolts total. The interior panel would have to be temporarily removed to install the nuts from the inside. And additional steel plate could be placed here for additional structural integrity for the upper and lower mounting location. Rubber washers could be used and put on the outside and i between the gate and frame, as well as the frame and nut to protect the frame and finish while also acting to keep moisture out of the interior.

no giggling at my paint using abilities, I used to be VERY good with paint shop pro, and photoshop when I was in HS, but ran out of subscription and i fail at them horribly now... so no laughing!!

Here are two pictures of my ideas... disregard the little circles on the bottom of the bumper, i'm still trying to find a way to get dual exhaust done, lol.

Product itself shown on vehicle without tire.

Finished product' with gate and tire cover

thoughts!?!?!
    Last edited by AJeepZJ; 03-15-2012 at 11:15 AM.

I would go with a similar concept but use bracketry through the bumper instead of the body around the tail light. It'll probably be difficult to reinforce that area and the hatch.

Conceptually, envision the tiregate design supported by brackets directly on the bumper as opposed to the hitch... which gives me another idea, shackle mounts through the bumper anyone???

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    I've mentioned it a couple times. I want 4xG rear sliders with attached swing out carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I would go with a similar concept but use bracketry through the bumper instead of the body around the tail light. It'll probably be difficult to reinforce that area and the hatch.

Conceptually, envision the tiregate design supported by brackets directly on the bumper as opposed to the hitch... which gives me another idea, shackle mounts through the bumper anyone???
    I'm having a hard time envisioning that. What support is there in the bumper... are you talking about the 'shoulders' on the edges? I would think it would be very easy to reinforce the mounting points from the inside using thicker steel brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
    I've mentioned it a couple times. I want 4xG rear sliders with attached swing out carrier.
    I would not be opposed to this at all....

I'd use the framing behind the bumper to build off of, not the bumper itself. From the outside it would look like the carrier is just bolted to the bumper, but there'd really be steel directly on the other side (kind of like studs in a house used to hang a TV via a mount... the TV mount isn't screwed to the sheetrock, its screwed into the studs behind the sheetrock)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'd use the framing behind the bumper to build off of, not the bumper itself. From the outside it would look like the carrier is just bolted to the bumper, but there'd really be steel directly on the other side (kind of like studs in a house used to hang a TV via a mount... the TV mount isn't screwed to the sheetrock, its screwed into the studs behind the sheetrock)
    Yuuup! I got ya

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information