Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tire Gate.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Ah, ok - how would the presentation look once the bumper is put back on. How will the bumper be modified to fit this extra framing.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Ah, ok - how would the presentation look once the bumper is put back on. How will the bumper be modified to fit this extra framing.
    On the XK we have lots of room back there AJ for you though hiding the frame work behind the bumper might not be possible.

Which makes me revert back to my 2,nd idea. The WK and XK are different in the rear. But I know a shop and I will see what the options are.

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    IMO, I wouldn't mount the rear tire towards the right like in your pictures AJ. When you turn your head to back up, you look over your right shoulder and the tire would be in your way. To see around it, you'd have to crank your head more around like an owl.

Example of this: You've seen the back hatch of an Xterra. Notice the hatch and hatch window dip on the passenger's side. That's for better visibility when in reverse.

I like Matt's idea and have too thought about this. But I'd have the tire seated more to the drivers side. I also like the idea of making sliders attach to the tire carrier and bracing it to the steel underneath the step pad on the back bumper.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

I use a back up camera in conjunction with my side-view mirror's

I never turn around while backing either but I don't have a rear camera either. I've just always used my side mirrors for backing up even in cars just a habit I guess.

You have to keep in mind the weight of a 32" tire and wheel and I'm sure you will want to mount a gas can so that's another 50LBS. So you will have over a 100LBS to hold up with what ever you build. Now extend the weight out past its support pieces meaning the weight is not resting on top of its main support its extended out past that which will increase the stress of holding the weight up. Then consider pot holes and dips in the road and that will add even more stress. Now go off road and bounce around drive down some wash board roads and that thing is getting abused pretty good. Also consider maybe getting it hung up or hitting off road as you depart an obstacle it will need to stand up to that as well. It will need to be pretty solid not to vibrate and make noise back there which would drive most of insane. I'm not saying it can't be done because it can, I'm just making sure you're considering the weight and stress this will produce. I would tie it in at least in three places. The two frame rails and the tow receiver as supports for this and anywhere else there is solid frame to help support this. Then when all is done probably install a rear skid plate that would protect it and protect the frame rails back there as well. I have everything I need to build this except a welder which I need to stop procrastinating and just go purchase one. I might just chill with the mods on the jeep for awhile and use the money to buy some more tools like a welder and a pipe bender and stuff.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    AJ, less room behind the WK bumper would actually make it easier. I would essentially be putting a steel shim between the rear frame and the inside of the bumper... probably one on the driver side and one on the passenger side. Then on he outside of the bumper mount a bar across. This bar would be extremely sturdy since it will be supported directly by the frame with as many bolts & stiffening plates as we'd want. You could then build the carrier off the bar; a pivot on one side and a latch of the other (like how the tiregate works).

If you ever wanted to remove the tire carrier, those mounting points could be used for another accessory, like a shackle mount.

I'm going to pull off the interior just to see what my options are inside there. The Tire is the only thing I really want to carry on the Gate.

No true you'll add the fuel can everyone does at some point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd have a fuel can, haha - Just not on the tire carrier, haha.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information