Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tire Gate.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    On the roof rack..... right?

Senior Member Getting Dirty HueyPilotVN's Avatar
    I thought I might add some pictures of the rear tire carrier that I have had for the last four years. It has the three attachment points like was mentioned previously. It attaches to the receiver hitch and creates a new receiver hitch farther out. It also has support brackets that attach to the subframe on either side to anchor it.

The pivoting arm that supports the tire, gas can, and HiLift jack has a large hinge and has a locking pin on the left to secure it. The weight of the entire arm is supported all along the bottom when it is locked so that the hinge does not have stress on it.

This tire carrier was built by Ross Hildebrandt who used to operate as "Get Lost 4X4".

I had mine offset because I do use the rear view camera. The downside is that people cannot see my right rear lights if they are directly behind me or to my left rear. I added more lights. I also never look over my shoulder when backing but rather use the camera and the mirrors.

Now I do not have a dog in the fight but I thought these pictures might stimulate some ideas.

Center mount to receiver.

Side supports mount to subframe. I guess these could be higher with a cutout in the rear plastic bumper for more ground clearance.

2007Jeep Green Limited
    4.7 Flex Fuel, Rocky Road 2.5" Lift on front, 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17
    Chrome Nerf Side Bars, K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Aluminum Diamond Plate Locking Trunk installed
    Factory Roof Pod, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
    Did anyone else read the fine print in the brochure and get a $500 rebate for being a Veteran?

Thanks for the pics! And yeah that's pretty much what I was envisioning except coming through the bumper instead of out then up, and maybe have a third support in the center through the bumper rather than dropping down to the hitch.

I've also been considering ways to relocate the backup camera for when I get a rear bumper/carrier.

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    That tire carrier looks good!

I guess I'm the only person on this forum who turns their head when backing up, LOL. Actually, I hardly ever use mirrors when backing. I guess that's so becuase when I was learning to drive on my parents farm (trucks, tractors, etc.), I ALWAYS had a trailer behind me. So I guess I got use to watching the trailer by being turned around and never got out of the habit, LOL.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Na I have to look out the back also... mirrors don't do it for me!

Senior Member Getting Dirty HueyPilotVN's Avatar
    It is kind of hard to look back over your shoulder in a 40 foot motor home. I always have to rely on the camera and mirrors when backing up and I try not to back up much. I hate those dead end streets.

2007Jeep Green Limited
    4.7 Flex Fuel, Rocky Road 2.5" Lift on front, 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17
    Chrome Nerf Side Bars, K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Aluminum Diamond Plate Locking Trunk installed
    Factory Roof Pod, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
    Did anyone else read the fine print in the brochure and get a $500 rebate for being a Veteran?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Guy just posted pics of his on JC this seems pretty easy to make.
    http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...2&postcount=21

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Like the idea - I don't like that one.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I was talking to Hoaxi5 yesterday about this same concept, I have it on my list!
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    This is an old thread, but do you think it would be possible to adapt something like this one? (though it seems heavy)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340983098.602523.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	1369
    07 WK Limited, 3.0 CRD, QDII

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information