Thread: Weird Noise

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

Weird Noise

ok every no and again I hear this noise coming from around the transmission. I can duplicate it sometimes. It sounds like plastic gears slipping almost like the sound of a zip tie being yanked real fast. It happens while I am on the throttle already and go to pass and floor it. So it happens as the transmission is down shifting. I do get a much quite version of this sometimes when I go from park to reverse. I'm guessing what ever it is it has to do with the transmission shifting gears. So this leads me to believe that its all electrical correct there is no physical link like cable from the shifter to the tranny. Any ideas on what this is or if your getting the same noise or what ever let me know what ya think. I'm thinking there is a electrical motor on the tranny doing all the shifting receiving signals from the computer.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    My XK does something similar every once and a while. I think its the transfer case though, not the transmission. I really dont think its a bad noise or anything to worry about.

that would be good news if it was normal. I don't mind noises as long as there normal for the operation. Do you here that as well when your switching gears or just hitting the passing gear?

I hear it a lot when I put the XK in gear (both reverse and drive). I also hear it sometimes while off roading. When you put your XK in 4 low, listen to the noise the transfer case makes. Does your noise sound similar to that?

ya it does sound similar to that. when I floor it, it's a very loud version of that so I guess its a normal sound.

I've never heard the noise when I floor it. I wonder if we are hearing the same noise?
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

I hear the noise your talking about when we switch gears. The one I'm concerned about is when I go to pass and put the foot to the floor I get kinda the same sound just a lot louder like I said almost like plastic gears slipping it only lasts a split second.

Hmmmm. I've never heard that noise when I put my foot to the floor. It might be doing it, but since I have the Flowmaster 50, theres no way id be able to hear it.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Thread Information