Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alignment problems after front suspension modification

Member Looking for Dirt

Alignment problems after front suspension modification

Okay, over the past couple weeks i've been working on the jeep trying to do a couple different modifications. I don't post alot messages or pictures on the forum, but i'm always reading it and getting new ideas. Well....about 3 years ago when I purchased the jeep, I decided to install the superlift 4" lift w/ mickey thompson classic II wheels. See picture below...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my jeep.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	1210

After driving it for a while, I just couldn't stand how much the tires would rub when turning. So needless to say, I purchased 1.25" spacers and put my stock wheels on. For the most part, that fixed my rubbing problem... See picture below.

Name:	jeep.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	1211

Well, every thing was great, but could not stand the nose down stance. So to correct that I was contemplating a couple different methods; trying a double stacking method, installing the OME lift plus the 4" lift. The more I thought about it, I just couldn't do it. I read a couple posts that KMAX did and how he had problems trying to install the OME lift plus the superlift. Well I contacted Kmax, he was really helpful on helping me to find a better solution to what I wanted, that is a more level stance. He recommended Deavor suspension custom coils. The more I thought about it, I decided to pull the trigger and get some custom coils made. The nice thing was, I was able to use Kmax's previous information on the coils, so they had everything on file. Well the next thing I wanted to do was replace my upper control arms. I really liked the way the Jeepinbyal ones looked as well as I couldn't find any complaints about them. So I decided to order a set of upper control arms. Well heck, I've already spent enough money, wife is already mad, the front end of the jeep will be disassembled, why not just replace the lower ball joints??? Well thats what I decided to do. Ordered and received some MOOG lower ball joints. Well it kinda felt like christmas for the next couple of days, with UPS and FEDEX showing up and giving me all these goodies. I opened up all the packages and drooled all over my new toys for a little bit. So the day came to finally install everything. Minus it being a complete pain in the butt, I got the custom springs, upper control arms and lower ball joints replaced. Since, I was able to gain a couple more inches, I decided to put my mickey thompson wheels back on. Here is a couple of photos showing my new stance and wheels....

Name:	stance.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	1212

Name:	upper control arm and coil.JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	1213

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	1214

After doing all these modifications, I knew I would have to get an alignment done. Now this is where my problem is. My camber, caster and toe are all out of specs. The tech said he adjusted everything to the max. He was able to get the cross camber and cross caster within the specified range, but the total toe is still way out. I kinda knew before starting this project I might have this problem. Now the jeep drives great with no pulling and steering wheel being centered. I know I'm going to have accelerated tire wear. But has anyone else had similar problems, after intalling a lift, the alignment does not fall whitin specs?

Another question I have is, are the jeepinbyal control arms side specific? They were not marked in any way so I just installed them.

Thanks
    2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L, QDII, 4" Superlift Supension Lift, Procomp Xtreme Mud Terrain Tires 285 70R17, Mickey Thompson Classic ii Wheels 17X9, AEM Brute Force CAI, Superchip flashpaque, 4XGuard belly guard, 4XGuard Front Guard, Rear Grab handles and Defender Roof Rack.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Here is a picture of the alignment print out from the shop.

Name:	scan0001.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	1215

Is there anything else I might be able to do in order to correct the alignment problems?

Thanks
    2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L, QDII, 4" Superlift Supension Lift, Procomp Xtreme Mud Terrain Tires 285 70R17, Mickey Thompson Classic ii Wheels 17X9, AEM Brute Force CAI, Superchip flashpaque, 4XGuard belly guard, 4XGuard Front Guard, Rear Grab handles and Defender Roof Rack.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Have a printout of the alignment? Have you tried another shop? I've never seen a vehicle where the toe couldn't be adjusted to spec..... ever. Camber/Caster can be an issue.

Edit: i was typing this when you posted that

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    What's your total lift up front now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Member Looking for Dirt
    yeah I posted a print out in the second post.

I agree with you, I should get a second opinion before digging to deep.

He didn't touch your camber/caster...

I haven't seen the superlift in person. Do you have any pictures of how the LCA is installed? Wondering if the superlift maintains the same method of adjustment as OEM (or hopefully improves it)

Member Looking for Dirt
    It's dark out, so it's almost 41".

Member Looking for Dirt
    here is the best picture I have. Not a good one. I will try and get better pictures some time this week.

Name:	lower control arm.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	1216

Looks like it'll still be the rear mount. i'm guessing your alignment tech didn't know how to adjust it (or didnt want to).

As far as the control arms go... the OEM ones aren't side specific but im not sure if the JBA arms are. Maybe someone else can chime in on that..

Member Looking for Dirt
    hopefully, not having very much luck with their customer support. I called and emailed with no answers.

Here is another picture, not the best, but I installed the Bilestin 7100 rear shocks

Name:	rear shocks.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	1217

I will keep drving the jeep and when I get a chance, will take it to another shop for a second opinion.

thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information