Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alignment problems after front suspension modification

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    It says at the bottom of the print out that your tie rods are adjusted all the way in but need to be adjusted in more. If that's the problem that's an easy fix. A few months ago I ordered a new inner tie rod for the drivers side because it was shot. The MOOG inner tie rods have more threads on them so u can adjust the outter tire rod end in farther. So replace both inner tie rods (you could probably use them anyways) and you'll be set.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Member Looking for Dirt
    Thanks, but my whole rack and pinion is relatively new. Not even a year old. I will definitely look into that.

Edit: Do you remember the part numbers?
    2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L, QDII, 4" Superlift Supension Lift, Procomp Xtreme Mud Terrain Tires 285 70R17, Mickey Thompson Classic ii Wheels 17X9, AEM Brute Force CAI, Superchip flashpaque, 4XGuard belly guard, 4XGuard Front Guard, Rear Grab handles and Defender Roof Rack.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    The toe is largely affected by the camber/caster adjustment. When you find someone to finally do a full alignment, the toe will should come within spec.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulf550 View Post
    hopefully, not having very much luck with their customer support. I called and emailed with no answers.

Here is another picture, not the best, but I installed the Bilestin 7100 rear shocks

Attachment 1217

I will keep drving the jeep and when I get a chance, will take it to another shop for a second opinion.

thanks
    Take it to a 4x4 Shop

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Take it to a 4x4 Shop
    Agreed, the average shop does not always have the experience needed
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Member Looking for Dirt
    Okay......

I did what everyone suggested to do, take to another place. So I took it back to the shop the originall installed the superlift. They came back and said the same thing. I had a copy of the print out, but what the heck i did with it, i have no clue. I've been traveling alot for work lately, I was sent to turks and caicos, fort lauderdale, charleston SC, panama city fl. and many more, so getting a chance to work or the jeep is very hard.

I did ask if they tryed to adjust the camber and caster by moving the lower control arm, and they said they did. It is adjusted to it's max.

So... I went ahead and had ordered all new inner and outer tie rod ends. It was pretty straight forword on replacing them. Once I got them replaced, I took the jeep back to the original shop that does all my alignments on my vehicles. Here is a picture of the print out..

Now after talking with jeepinbyal, they stated the a-arms were designed for a lift kit other than superlift. SL uses a steering knuckle extension to level out the factory a-arm. If you add more lift the jeep then our a-arms will work.

My caster and camber are still out. They said they tried adjusting the lower control arms again, but they are maxed out. So 2 different places have said the same thing.

So, I'm not really sure what I should do. Do I put the original control arms back in? Is they additional lift added my my custom coils causing this? or di I put the stock steering knuckles back in the jeep?

Thanks
    2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L, QDII, 4" Superlift Supension Lift, Procomp Xtreme Mud Terrain Tires 285 70R17, Mickey Thompson Classic ii Wheels 17X9, AEM Brute Force CAI, Superchip flashpaque, 4XGuard belly guard, 4XGuard Front Guard, Rear Grab handles and Defender Roof Rack.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    wow that is weird
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Member Looking for Dirt
    for some reason, i'm having a hard time uploading pictures from my scanner, this is a picture with my phone. Hope you can read it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	specs.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	1225
    Last edited by Gulf550; 04-13-2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: added picture

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I was able to be mine aligned yesterday and it turned out pretty good. Well according to the print out. They shop said my caster issue cant be fixed but thats due to the lift. Whatever, not going to lose sleep over it as long as it doesnt totally destroy the new tires im about to purchase. Also I had a defective boot on one of my JBA HD UCA's. Just called JBA and they are sending me a new one along with all the hardware to bolt on my 4xguard belly skid that i never received through the previous owners. I had to just go to the local hardware store at the time and find bolts/nuts that would work. Anyways....you cant just throw on your old steering knuckes if your keeping the rest of the lift on. The superlift steering knuckle is extended to make up for the cross member drop down brackets. With the old knuckles, your JBA UCA's would reach to be able to put the ball joint bolt on. Not only that but your tie rods would be at a horrible angle too because the raise that part on the new knuckle.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Member Looking for Dirt
    I see what your saying.

well, when i was doing the tie road installation, i found i was making contact on the passenger side with the steering knucle and the bottom of the spring isolator and the steering knuckle and the coils. I will try and post some pictures....If it works....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	closecontact.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	1226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	contact1.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	1227Click image for larger version. 

Name:	contact.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	1228

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information