Quote Originally Posted by brendon View Post
Anyone replace one yet? I know the dealer says you have to do the entire rack, but I did find Moog EV800467 over at Rock Auto for ~$26. I bought it a couple years ago just in case, but the time has come to actually do this. It doesn't look too difficult, other than access to the inner clamp ring on the boot.

I diagnosed my clunking by getting underneath and having another person move the steering wheel back and forth with the engine not running. The clunking is distinctly coming from the left side inner area. Anyone see a flaw in that diagnosis?

Also, I found that the rear bushing on my front diff is shot. That should be fun!

Not to mention that both front bolts of the Mopar engine skid plate sheared off; one from a hit somerwhere in Colorado and the other when I was removing the plate to inspect the clunking sounds. I'll have to drill them out and probably install threadsavers.
I just replaced my driver's side inner tie rod not to long ago. I too went with MOOG (I think they are the only company that sells them for the XK). I bought mine from a local auto parts store and paid around $30 for it if I recall correctly. I also replaced the outter tie rod while I was at it. The install was VERY easy and only took about 45 minutes. All I did was jack up the driver's side front tire and remove it. Remove the outter tie rod to steering knuckle nut and pop the tie rod end out with a rubber mallet (I dont have the proper tool but the rubber mallet worked perfect). Next I took a large screw driver and placed it against the the inner clamp that holds the boot on and hit the end of the screw driver with a hammer and it popped right off. Pull back the boot to access the joint of the inner tie rod. I then used a pipe wrench to remove the inner tie rod from the steering rack (the oem inner tie rod joint where it screws into the rack was rounded and couldnt get a wrench or anything on it, the new MOOG inner tie rod was designed different to you can tighten it with a wrench). Once the old inner and outter tie rod are off I measures the length of it so that I could get the new parts the exact same length. I transfered the boot from the old tie rod to the new tie rod (make sure you do this prior to screwing the inner and outter tie rod together). Screw the new inner tie rod into the rack using locktite. Pull the boot back over the joint and secure it to the steering rack using a HD Black zip tie (works perfect in place of the metal clamp, went off roading two weekends ago and zip tie is still there!) Reinstall the outter tie rod end to steering knuckle and put the nut back on. Reinstall the tire and get and alignment.