Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tent recommendations

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

Question Tent recommendations

Thinking about getting a tent again... it's been a while. Last tent i owned was a trucktent but never got to use it because my wife got it for me as a birthday present when she was 1 month pregnant with our first child (the rest speaks for itself and the truck is long gone ). So i'm thinking about the SUV version of the trucktent:

Wondering if that's more trouble than it's worth and what you guys recommend. The last time i bought a tent for myself it was based for 3-4 day backpacking adventures.... lol i'd like something a bit larger/more comfortable this time!

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    - always get a size larger than you think you need
    - I dont like truck/suv tents that attach to your vehicle. makes it difficult to move the vehicle and if you wanna go wheelin while your wife hangs out at the campsite is it going to be an issue when you move the Jeep ? same goes for the awnings / tarps that you tie up to the roof rack.
    - always buy plenty of seam sealer and seal all the seams immediately. dont wait to see if it leaks on your first outing ( ME ) . a large family tent will use a lot of seam sealer
    - make sure it has a nice , large rainfly system. dont wait till 2am and its raining to install the rainfly because you didnt think it was going to rain ( SAL ) LOL
    - the screen rooms and mud room / porch areas are really nice to be able to kick off your shoes before entering the tent
    Last edited by NeilSmith; 03-30-2012 at 05:37 PM.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

He Matt,I don't have any experience with the truck tents,but I've always had good luck with Big Agnes tents,Eureka,Mountain Hardwear, and R.E.I's store brand. The BA's and MH's can get pretty pricey. When I first started backpacking/camping I used REI's brand (mostly because I was new to the hobbie,and didn't know alot then). Once I got more into it I began going with the better quaility ones. Also if you get a chance either stop an REI or get out their site. Both should be very valuable.

Yeah i used to order a bunch of stuff from REI... and oh man, ever been to EMS in Princeton Market Fair? I swear there was a time there that I was keeping that store afloat... it was almost as bad as me walking into Home Depot; have to leave the credit cards in the car!

LOL...I hear ya. That's exactly how I was after I was hooked on hiking. The first year I decided to do the A.T. I probably spent an easy $2500.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilSmith View Post
    - always buy plenty of seam sealer and seal all the seams immediately. dont wait to see if it leaks on your first outing ( ME ) .
    - make sure it has a nice , large rainfly system. dont wait till 2am and its raining to install the rainfly because you didnt think it was going to rain ( SAL ) LOL
    This made me crack up!

lol thanks for the advice guys. Any recommendations on makes/models that you have had good luck with?

Also a little FYI, this isn't really going to be a "family" adventure tent. I'm thinking more along the lines of going to Rausch Creek more and not staying at the hotel.

Some of the brands I've used and really liked were Big Agnes,Eureka,Mountain Hardwear,and REI's store brand. My Big Agnes is the smallest,lightest, and cost the most. It's a 1 person and I think ran me about $300ish. But I was going for really light weight & small size.
    For what it sounds like you'll be doing I would check out the REI brand. They offer good quaility at a pretty reasonable price. If you really want to save money,check out the Coleman's.
    Last edited by Carn75; 03-30-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    I have an REI Kingdom 6, it's two rooms and each side will hold a queen size air mattress with room to spare at the feet for bags.

It's pricey, but like all items from REI it has a lifetime warranty so if anything ever happens I'll get full purchase price refunded for replacement.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Jeep actully makes a really nice 8 person, 2 room tent, with a screened in porch.

If I am backpacking, size and weight matter, but if I am driving in to set up camp then I am sleeping good. Fullsize air matress, room for the kid and dogs, porch for bugs.

My $.02 but it is a cool tent
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    I've got 2 tents, One for my minimalist self and my daughter (aka: When my wife doesn't go). It takes about 5 or 6 minutes to set up and it's an Ozarks(walmart brand i think) Dome tent (yeah it's not pricey or fancy). Only sleeps about 3 but sure feels nice when you put your tent up in time to watch others still trying to figure out which side of their Hotel is the front. Then you can grab a chair and realax with a drink while you either laugh at or help your friends. I've always been a hiker/camper and love to have the simplist possible. Also if you plan on moving sites each night smaller is always nice for setup/takedown time. At big bend where we stayed in 5 different campgrounds seperated by 90 miles of terrain or so it was nice to have the small tent.

My other tent........ is the one my wife picked out from Academy which I think is a magellan or something. Got it on sale for about 130 or so and It sleeps 6 on the inside room and up to a max of 4 in the bug netted and floored front porch. (it also has a "closet" at the rear lol.) If I'm wheeling at the same place and not moving anywhere this isn't a bad tent.

Good luck....
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information