Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Transmission & Catalytic Converter Skid Plate

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    once you get the SA one on let me know if you have the same issue with it touching the CATS. On my 4x belly it makes a vibration sound because the cats tap it.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Thats the main reason I went for it to be honest. Wish I knew how much better the SA one is before I bought the 4xGuard. Ill be putting a few more coats of paint on this week and install probably next Saturday. Hopefully there will be no more rattling, dont think there will be since mine was rattling on the lip of the 2 pieces connected..
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Going to install the skid tonight, anyone have any tips with the install of nutserts? I know theres tools out there but is there an easier/cheaper way to get these in?
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 06JeepXKHEMI View Post
    Going to install the skid tonight, anyone have any tips with the install of nutserts? I know theres tools out there but is there an easier/cheaper way to get these in?
    I included a set up for that purpose. All you need to do is drill the hole and then insert the bolt assembly that has the nutsert on it, hold the inner nut with a wrench (it is loose and for holding against body only) and tighten the bolt until snug. You can tighten with a wrench but I suggest you use a low speed drill or nut driver if you have a socket attachment.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Got it! Thanks

Just finished installing the stout SA belly skid... Was a simple install only slightly different from the other belly skid install, you'll see in pics below. Jon I know you wanted to know if there's anything to change to make easier but it was straight forward as can be, the only thing I found difficult was the passenger side bolt going into transfer case skid was kind of hard to get started due to the angle of skid, it slopes downward about 1/4" towards that side to give clearance for mid pipes.. I tried taking pics sorry they are with my phone it was damn cold out!!! I'll go in order with directions:
    First if you have front skid obviously those bolts come out.. With the SA skid you must install spacers supplied between mounting holes and belly skid:

The front skid gets installed underneath SA belly skid. From there install bolts going to rear crossmember and transfer case skid, if you have one. I didn't take any pics here pretty straight forward although to make it easier to install passenger side bolt I used my knees to push up on skid and get bolt started. Now I did t tighten everything so I can look to see where to install nutserts, here's where I stopped and looked.. before I tightened the rest of the bolts that outer lip was already flush and frame rail so I tightened everything up and she isn't moving.. I will be installing nutserts eventually just need to get either a warmer day or warmer garage. My thought is to drill new holes in nothing skid and Jeep, here's why..

As you can see I can't use either holes on skid or Jeep, but I drove around with no rattles so it will do u til I figure out whether one or two nutserts will suffice, I tried prying skid down and It's nit moving which I like the tight flush fit and I'm sure I can get some insight from you all on whether one or two is needed. Maybe after bouncing off some rocks will loosen her up!! Now the other issue which is the main reason I got the SA was to easy if the true dual exhaust/mid pipe rattled against it which I'm happy to it doesn't!! I snapped some pics for you who were interested in this..

This pic is from the hole cut to mount bolt to transfer skid good amt of clearance there

First of many SA products!!

overall very impressed, looking forward to beating this thing up Sunday at Rausch, Thanks again Jon!!!
    And one more just cause I love that stance!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Very nice write up, thanks for the feedback.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Looks great man. Looking forward to seeing you slam it on a few rocks at Rausch

Thanks, definitely going To need nutserts rattled slightly this am headed to the gym.. hopefully it wasn't the exhaust, if it is looks like me headers and mid pipes are going to move up on my list..

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Man if your exhaust moved that much id check those motor mounts!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread Information