Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What length CB Antenna? CB Newbie

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar

What length CB Antenna? CB Newbie

Hey Guys,

Ive been looking around at all the cb threads and pretty much nailed down what radio, antenna mount etc. to get. Im stuck on a length of antenna to get. Im looking at fiberglass firestik type of antennas.

I see some running 3' and some running 4'. For some odd reason on amazon the 4' firestik is cheaper. Anyways any pros or cons to length?

I dont park in my garage nor park in the parking deck here at work so either length wont matter in that aspect. I will mainly be using this CB for trail use I guess. I have never owned a CB before so I dont know what else people do with them, talk on the highway? Yes im a noob.
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I went with the 4' because I mounted mine off the front bumper so it sits lower. If it was mounted higher I would get the 3'.

For trail use, either is more than sufficient. You're going to be limited by the weakest link in the group which is going to be someone with a basic handheld anyways (which I've found is still good for most trail rides, even when the group splits).

Either way, go with the tuneable tip.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Every thing Matt said I went with whatever setup got the tip above the roof line not much just above it for longer range since I wheel in drastic elevation changes. Last trip we couldn't hear the dude we sent to the top of the hill so I went up and could hear and talk to the bottom of the hill no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Getting Dirty DetroitMarauder's Avatar
    Generally the higher the better. But that depends on your use as well. Make sure you get a spring too. They're less than ten bucks and will save you from having to buy a new antenna after every trip.
    2008 Jeep Commander 3.7L V6 4x4, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Bilstein Struts, Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Leveler Shocks, Rusty's Adjustable Track Bar, K&N CAI 63, Flowmaster Super 44 Offroad Muffler, Bull bar w/ driving lights.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    you really need to be up above the roof and any roof rack you may have. order you a spring and a quick - disconnect also. i got all Firestick stuff ( from Amazon )
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

all of this is great input! never thought of getting above the roof rack too. I have my rack and a tire up there so the more I think about it a 4' may answer the mail for my setup.

Oh and a spring is definiitley on the list of items.
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Mine sits just above my rack my like an inch. I've had no issues on the trails so far and keeping it low keeps it from hitting everything. Are you using the 4xG antenna mount?

Im going to go with this mount - http://www.rightchannelradios.com/do...mount-kit.html Ive seen a couple pictures from the forum of people using it. Cheaper than the 4xguard and does the same job.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    thats the mount I used, Firestik Door Jamb Mount. I straightened out the 45 deg bends into one 90 deg bend and it gave me a little more reach into the jamb.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Since you have a basket, I would consider putting a mount on the basket and getting a 2 foot long firestik. If you decide to keep to your door jamb choice, pick a 4 foot firestik so that the tip of the antenna is 1-2 feet over the roof. Either way, they'll do fine for trail use. If you ever want to go for distance, you want the longest antenna above the roof line (in general).
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information