Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Cooling Line Replacement

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    You did what was there except your hose is now serviceable without getting gouged by the dealer because we all no rubber breaks down and leaks eventually and the crimped ends they had just make people run to the dealer for work. Now your good if they ever leak again it's a quick fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    True... i wish I would've done that from the start though. Remember i had the line completely disconnected from all of the fittings and was trying to snake it out for a few hours. Hoping that I didn't damage the original fittings during that process. At least now it's 2 pieces though: but i still think i need to drop the cats to get the rear section out.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Lt_JWS's Avatar
    looks like real pain.... if i were you i'd double clamp those suckers
    2006 XK 4.7V8 | Quadra-Drive II |2 1/2" Lift | K&N Filter| Port and Polished Throttle Body| Magnaflow# 12256 | Leather, heated seats, Command View| Factory Tow hooks | Full factory skids | Rear D-Ring Shackle |1.25" front/1" rear spacers | JK Wheels | 245/75R17 Nitto TG

I thought about it but the store only had 4 clamps left and i wanted to be done in time for Easter dinner. A good clamp shouldn't leak, but if i do have to fix them again i may throw on a second set for the added peace of mind.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    So is it all fixed now? Can u make a write up so if any of us have the same issue we can easily fix it?
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Easily? Lol we'll use that term loosely since even with my write up its still going to be a PITA. Actually it would be a lot easier (maybe even "easy" for real) if I just cut those swaged ends completely off... but I wanted to retain as much of the original line as possible.

Once my wounds heal from the ordeal ill edit the pictures with some instructional marks and throw them in a "How to"..

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Haha sorry. I meant to make it "easier" for us.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

WARNING

My trans line pulled off today... saw the leaking fluid when I got to work, popped the hood and fluid was everywhere. Luckily it was the clamp closer to the radiator so I could get to it by taking the intake off.

I never double-clamped... so I'm going to do that today. I may even throw some epoxy on the lines to help hold them in place.

Root cause? I don't think this is a daily driving issue. Today was the first time driving the Jeep since returning from offroading this weekend. My theory is those trans lines get taught during certain offroading situations like steep off camber climbs and the line slowly worked its way off. It may have been leaking on my drive home and I just didn't notice.... will have to check my driveway after work today.

Edit: also decided I'm going to pick up some 3/8" trans hose and make the lines a bit longer. .. maybe another inch or so. I cut mine to the same size that I took off, but maybe they get tension once in a while (hard acceleration?) and that's one of the reasons they're known to leak....
    Last edited by Matt; 06-19-2012 at 07:04 AM.

Didn't realize how bad it was until I saw my driveway when I got home from work today...... ugh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1340154817452.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	1354  

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    In the pic it looked like your replacement lines were shorter but we know how photos look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information