Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: QD-I Question

Member Looking for Dirt madrock's Avatar

QD-I Question

Sorry for all of the newb questions. My 4WD Commander has the 3.7L engine which I presume is the QD-I system. From my research, that means I have:

C200F - Front Axle (1.5 quarts)
    C213R - Rear Axle (2.5 quarts)
    NV140 - Transfer Case (1.4 pints or ~ 0.75 quart)

Is that correct?

I found conflicting info regarding the need to use a friction modifier. Is it needed, especially if I use Mobil 1? If so, do I put that in before the gear lube? I also read about needing a gasket when changing the differential fluids. Is that necessary, or can I wrap the threads in teflon tape?

Thanks!
    Last edited by madrock; 05-02-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    2007 Jeep Commander Sport 4x4

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    You have Quadratrac-1 - your axle and xcase info is correct.... you do NOT need friction additive. Just make sure the fluid you are using is compliant to Chrysler standards. I'm not sure what you mean about requiring a gasket to change the diff fluid. I'm believe that is a QD2, requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    You have Quadratrac-1 - your axle and xcase info is correct.... you do NOT need friction additive. Just make sure the fluid you are using is compliant to Chrysler standards. I'm not sure what you mean about requiring a gasket to change the diff fluid. I'm believe that is a QD2, requirement.
    Thanks for the clarification! I saw the gasket come up in another thread and could not figure out if it was QD-I or QD-II.

Senior Member Getting Dirty DetroitMarauder's Avatar
    To clarify, what AJeepZJ said is you have a QT-I not the QD-I or QD-II
    2008 Jeep Commander 3.7L V6 4x4, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Bilstein Struts, Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Leveler Shocks, Rusty's Adjustable Track Bar, K&N CAI 63, Flowmaster Super 44 Offroad Muffler, Bull bar w/ driving lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitMarauder View Post
    To clarify, what AJeepZJ said is you have a QT-I not the QD-I or QD-II
    Ah, somehow I got QT mixed up with QD.

Thanks!

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    Maybe the gasket talk is about removing the cover and needing either a gasket or RTV to seal it back up.

So either you have to pump out the old fluid, or remove the cover and seal it back up. No teflon tape because the fill hole is just plugged with a rubber stopper.

Quote Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
    Maybe the gasket talk is about removing the cover and needing either a gasket or RTV to seal it back up.

So either you have to pump out the old fluid, or remove the cover and seal it back up. No teflon tape because the fill hole is just plugged with a rubber stopper.
    ahhh!! makes sense.. the diff cover. Removing the diff cover is a little more thorough, IMO. I didn't know you could use RTV to seal it back up. Is there a specific RTV you use for it. Apparently there are different ones.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I have been using the RTV you can get from your local auto parts store that is made just for gear oil. Never had a leak and have been using it since day 1 with mobil 1 (75w140). I now have 105,500 miles. No friction additive is needed in your Jeep. The only guys who need friction additive are the ones that have QD II and it says QUADRA-DRIVE II just below the gear shifter in the area of the 4 low t-shaped handle. Mostly HEMI Jeeps and a select few with the 4.7 Have QD II
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    GREEN RTV Gasket maker for differentials.

Follow the directions on the back of the package. A lot of people make 2 common mistakes... they either:
    1) wait too long to put the cover back on, thinking they're doing a good thing by letting the RTV start trying first or
    2) immediately torque the bolts and squeeze out all of the gasket maker

So for people like me who have not used RTV in the cover... About how long are we waiting to seal it... Eould you recommend applying the RTV and then hand torqueing the bolts, and then torqueing to spec after 10 mins.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information