Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I keep TCS off?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can I keep TCS off?

While wheeling I often find reasons to stop long enough to turn off the engine. Each time I turn the engine back on, for safety reasons (per the owners manual) the XK has reset itself to the TCS fully back on setting. I know there are liability issues that would make Jeep set it up this way, but I find it to be a pain. Has anyone found a "cheat code" to enable the Jeep to stay in whatever mode you set it in even if you turn off the engine?
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    That's a good question.... kind of like a "key dance" to keep tcs off. Would be awesome if one existed!

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Unfortunately I dont think there is anything you can do for this.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    I almost NEVER play the 'big-brother' role, because i'm the daredevil myself... But, I actually think it's a good idea that it is set up the way it is. Objectively speaking, i can see the advantage of what you are suggesting. But that TCS saves folks on the road, you'd only have to forget once turn it back on, and get really unlucky. Unless FULLY disengaged, the TCS will turn itself back on after you've exceeded a certain speed anyway.

A lot of vehicles don't have TCS and a lot less traction than a jeep without it... if you happen to forget it's off, i don't see that as really an "unsafe" thing. Slightly less safe than on? Yes... but so is driving my base model accord with only front wheel drive and no special engine-killing traction control system.

Add to that the group who is asking for this type of feature is also the type of driver who actually thinks about the driving conditions and their vehicles- i doubt any of "us" would get into our vehicles during a blizzard without thinking "ok, lets make sure this 4x4 is functioning".

That's right AJ, i just told you to stay outta my jeep

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Hmmmm. I disagree, respectfully of course! This is like saying a vehicle without a seatbelt is less safe than a vehicle with it. So far as the seatbelt isnt needed, technically, one is no more safe than the other... This is also the case for TCS's... safe/unsafe, advantages/less advantageous... Preferential words. Also I wasnt thinking in terms of incliment weather. My comments were more directed towards swerving; evading collision while avoiding turnover.

FWIW, seatbelts are required here, and probably will be required in every state in the near future.

So are you saying that the government should mandate that all vehicles come equipped with AWD and TCS? Cause, that seems to be what you're saying... that vehicles equipped without them are "unsafe".

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Lt_JWS's Avatar
    I personally tried the "key dance" for ESP disable for a JK jeep didn't work, you could always put a kill switch in between the ground wire of the ESP module(rear of center console)That would disable it for sure and when you wanted to run with ESP simply turn off your jeep and flip the switch and restart your jeep and your in business!

Edit, do at your own risk, but i've read alot of people do it to chargers/challengers with ESP, I belive it shouldn't mess with ABS and should only affect ESP and ERM also BAS may be disabled.....

Here's the article on ESP disable for a JK if anyones interested....
    http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...tem/index.html
    Last edited by Lt_JWS; 03-25-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    2006 XK 4.7V8 | Quadra-Drive II |2 1/2" Lift | K&N Filter| Port and Polished Throttle Body| Magnaflow# 12256 | Leather, heated seats, Command View| Factory Tow hooks | Full factory skids | Rear D-Ring Shackle |1.25" front/1" rear spacers | JK Wheels | 245/75R17 Nitto TG

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    while turning TCS off is a bit of a hassle, it has saved my ass while driving down the road.

I hit some ice on the road, and the TCS kicked in and kept me from sliding off the road into a ditch. If it was already off, I would have never thought to turn it on, before I drove that AM. Just sayin..
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

I don't think there's any disagreement that its a benefit for sure. Just that its a benefit, not a required piece of safety equipment like seatbelts or airbags. There's not a single car (legal anyway) that doesn't have seatbelts and airbags, but there's plenty without traction control systems. Therein lies my [respectful] disagreement with AJ on the topic of whether we should be able to do a special key dance to keep TCS off while on long off-road excursions. ... the risk of leaving it off, IMO, is minimal and not nearly on the level of "unsafe" as is not wearing seatbelts since leaving it off would put us in similar (and still somewhat better) traction &control situations than many other non-awd vehicles on the road, aaaand disabling TCS doesn't disable our airbags or seatbelts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information