Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire help

Senior Member Getting Dirty DetroitMarauder's Avatar

Tire help

I am ready to purchase new tires, hopefully this weekend, and I've narrowed it down to two possibilities. They are the Nitto Terra Grappler AT and the Falken Rocky Mountain ATS. I have read what is offered on Discount's site as well as each manufacturer's site but I was hoping you could give me a little more insight on these. They are only $1 apart in price per tire so that won't be a deciding factor. Do you have any recommendations regarding either of these? Is one superior to the other? The Nittos are a "special order" and the closest Discount Tire that has them is at least 45 minutes away. I would like to physically see them before my final decision. What is this special order? Am I committing to buy them if I call my local dealer and have them shipped over? Thanks for your time.
    2008 Jeep Commander 3.7L V6 4x4, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Bilstein Struts, Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Leveler Shocks, Rusty's Adjustable Track Bar, K&N CAI 63, Flowmaster Super 44 Offroad Muffler, Bull bar w/ driving lights.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I wrote my thoughts on the falken in the tire thread. Only been off road once with them on one of the muddiest days I've been on and they did just as well as all the other tires being run out there and I wasn't aired down either. There pretty quit on the road and look good to. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have read your review which is why I am seriously considering going with the Falken but I also have heard good things about the Nittos too. I have bought a lot of things sight unseen from the internet but for some reason I feel the need to visually see the tires I'm buying first. Maybe I'll just take the long drive to see both sets but it will seem like a waste if I end up going with the tire I could have gotten less than 10 minutes from my house.
    2008 Jeep Commander 3.7L V6 4x4, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Bilstein Struts, Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Leveler Shocks, Rusty's Adjustable Track Bar, K&N CAI 63, Flowmaster Super 44 Offroad Muffler, Bull bar w/ driving lights.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Out of those two tires...id say the Falkens.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Supporting Vendor Getting Dirty Discount Tire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitMarauder View Post
    I am ready to purchase new tires, hopefully this weekend, and I've narrowed it down to two possibilities. They are the Nitto Terra Grappler AT and the Falken Rocky Mountain ATS. I have read what is offered on Discount's site as well as each manufacturer's site but I was hoping you could give me a little more insight on these. They are only $1 apart in price per tire so that won't be a deciding factor. Do you have any recommendations regarding either of these? Is one superior to the other? The Nittos are a "special order" and the closest Discount Tire that has them is at least 45 minutes away. I would like to physically see them before my final decision. What is this special order? Am I committing to buy them if I call my local dealer and have them shipped over? Thanks for your time.
    Thank you for the post.

The Nitto Terra Grappler and and Rocky Mountain are both excellent tire models. The right model for you will depend on what you are looking for out of your next set.

What tire model are you driving on now and what are your likes and dislikes with this set? How many miles are you driving per year? Will this set see snow? What type of off-road conditions do you typically see? What do you want your next set of tires to do for you?

Special order products are products we do not keep in stock and need to be ordered in from the manufacturer. There is no additional charge for special order products and lead time is typically a few business days depending on availability. If you would like to see both sets in person I'm sure the store would be more than happy to order a set of Terra Grapplers in for you to compare. Your local Discount Tire may also have the Terra Grappler available in a similar size that you can use to compare.
    Low Prices! More Choices! FREE Shipping!
    At The Store: discounttire.com
    To Your Door: discounttiredirect.com

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Member Looking for Dirt cprokopf's Avatar
    When I addded the 2" lift to my WK I bought Nitto Terra Grapplers and had them installed the same day. I really like the look and side wall details. They are actually more quiet than I expected and have done extrmely well in bad weather i.e. snow, heavy rains. For the price I would recommend the Nitto's but I have no experience with the Falkens. I would still buy the Terra Grapplers if I had to do it all over again. Hope this this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Discount Tire View Post
    Thank you for the post.

The Nitto Terra Grappler and and Rocky Mountain are both excellent tire models. The right model for you will depend on what you are looking for out of your next set.

What tire model are you driving on now and what are your likes and dislikes with this set? How many miles are you driving per year? Will this set see snow? What type of off-road conditions do you typically see? What do you want your next set of tires to do for you?
    I'm currently running on the stock Forteras. They are fine except for the fact they are too small now that I have the lift on and they have almost 42k miles on them so they're showing their age. It didn't help I never rotated them but it was a lease that ended up deciding to buy. I only drive about 10k miles a year. I live in SE Michigan so winters can be non-existent like this year or extremely brutal. I do take it to the Northern part of the state that sees harsh winters and I at times drive on very uneven and muddy dirt roads. I do want to start doing some off road trails this summer so I need something that is good on uneven and rocky surfaces. But since it is also my DD they also need to not have a lot of road noise.

Quote Originally Posted by cprokopf View Post
    When I addded the 2" lift to my WK I bought Nitto Terra Grapplers and had them installed the same day. I really like the look and side wall details. They are actually more quiet than I expected and have done extrmely well in bad weather i.e. snow, heavy rains. For the price I would recommend the Nitto's but I have no experience with the Falkens. I would still buy the Terra Grapplers if I had to do it all over again. Hope this this helps.
    Thanks for your input. It's another nail in my confusion coffin. The cost between the two sets is a measly $4 so that isn't a concern but the snow and heavy rain is. How many miles do you have on them?

I cant say for discount tire but, I work for Belle and special order in company is no commitment. Special order outside company you have to put a deposit atleast.

Member Looking for Dirt cprokopf's Avatar
    The tires are about 1 1/2 years old and I would guess I have somewhere beyond 25k on them. The treads along side walls have taken a slight beating due to the AWD feature but the tire has held up relatively well. I rotate them constantly. Still plenty of meat and miles left at thit point. The important part is they still look good!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information