Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xjtrailrider, checking in from Roanoke VA

xjtrailrider, checking in from Roanoke VA

Hello! I'm new on here but not new to Jeeps or to the Commander. You might know me from other forums; NAXJA, CherokeeForum, Jeepin.Com, The Commander Forum, JKOwners, CommancheClub and our local forums, SWVA4W and Star City Crawlers.

I have owned Jeeps all of my adult life, too many CJ's to list then I found the XJ and fell in love! I have owned a half a dozen XJ's and a MJ. I bought the Commander to haul the family and do some occasional towing of my trail rig XJ.

The first time I "off-roaded" a Jeep was in the mid 70's when my Dad asked me to take the 69 Jeepster Commando across the creek and get some garden tools and bring them back to him. I was 12 and was shaking but the excitement was a thrill. Locking in the hubs and pulling the T-case lever back into 4-hi was liberating! I remember that the 15' across the foot deep water was "the" moment that I was hooked on off-roading and it has become a way of life since that moment!

Here is my current fleet;

This is my Dads old XJ. It was sold after he died by my stepmother and I searched for 3 years to get it back. I found it with a blown engine and a homeless man living in it. I bought it for $450

Our JK, a 08 Sahara with D-44LS, and all the bells and whistles

My trail rig, a 96 XJ with too much to list;

Our MJ, I restored it, my son rolled it, its being restored again!

We also have 2 other XJ's, a 94 Country and a 00 Classic, both are stock.

Then last but not least, my 09 Hemi Commander with QT2 and full loaded

I am a diesel mechanic by trade but I hate diesels LOL! I work on diesel-electric locomotive components. My hobbies are wheelin my Jeep, fishing and coaching youth sports. I coach football and lacrosse.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Welcome glad you made it over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey Sal!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Lt_JWS's Avatar
    welcome
    2006 XK 4.7V8 | Quadra-Drive II |2 1/2" Lift | K&N Filter| Port and Polished Throttle Body| Magnaflow# 12256 | Leather, heated seats, Command View| Factory Tow hooks | Full factory skids | Rear D-Ring Shackle |1.25" front/1" rear spacers | JK Wheels | 245/75R17 Nitto TG

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Welcome!
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    Welcoem! That's quite a fleet you have there. Nice rigs.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Thanks everyone!

I really didn't say much about my Commander. Right now its bone stock, I have about 2 years left of payments then the fun will begin. I have been nothing less than impressed by this Jeep. It reminds me of the XJ just on steroids. I have wheeled with enough of them to know just how "Trail Ready" they really are!

Roanoke has a bunch of XK's on the road, most of those folks were XJ owners, its just a natural progression and a damn shame Jeep dropped it before it really got going good.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Welcome. I love all those Jeeps man. I smiled during the entire read. Maybe the Grand Wagoneer will be something the XK owners will like.

Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Welcome. I love all those Jeeps man. I smiled during the entire read. Maybe the Grand Wagoneer will be something the XK owners will like.
    I think the only thing that would make the the new Grand Waggy replace my Commander in the driveway is if it had a SFA(solid front axle). We all know thats not going to happen! I was saddened to see that the new GC has IRS now instead of the solid rear that it did have. I was a Toyota guy breifly back in the early 80's when I was a Toyota Tech. I loved their solid front axle trucks but then they went IFS and I went back to Jeep. Unfortunately all the manufacturers have left the SFA design behind and now even the SRA.

My Commander may find a pair of D-60's under it one day. I've done 5 SFA swaps on Toyota trucks and its really not all that difficult but those were all done with pre-fabbed kits. The XK will be a challenge but it will work. I'm guessing a complete sub-frame and long armed/coil over front, 4 link/coil over rear. Now I just have to convince my wife hahaha!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    My guess and you and Sal, if not already, REALLY get along lmfao!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information