Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slight Chirp sound while driving

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar

Slight Chirp sound while driving

So i have just noticed this sound (not sure how long its been going on) that sounds like a sqeaky belt sound, but coming from my wheel. Im not sure what wheel its coming from, but its on the driver side.

It happens on straight driving, above 30 mph. Its like a chirp sound. Any thoughts on what the heck it could be? it goes away when I apply the brake.. just weird.
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    How old are the brakes? There's a metal clip that starts contacting the rotor when the brakes get low... makes a high pitched squeak sound that usually goes away when the brakes are applied. Might have a worn out pad.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Might want to check if there is a rock pinched in your dust shield on the brakes
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holaday07 4.7 View Post
    Might want to check if there is a rock pinched in your dust shield on the brakes
    That's a constant horrible sound that don't go away when the brakes are pressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have experienced the whole rock in the dust shield - horrible girding sound..

You know the brakes were changed about a year and a half ago, but im pretty sure they were "cheap" brake pads used. I get crazy dust on my front wheels.

at the time, it was all I could afford.
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Ceramic pads are the way to go. Im dont think you have a rock stuck in there but more or less need new pads/rotors.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    I have had that rock problem too. It was very annoying! I had some mud and small rocks stuck to my tires and as the wheel rotated around, the stuff that was hanging off the side of the tire was scraped off by the UCA bolt. The rocks fell straight down the spindle and squeezed between it and the back of the rotor. The rock then rotated inside of the rotor to the bottom where it was not small enough to squeeze between the rotor and the dust shield. So it just sat there grinding against the inner lip of the rotor and the dust shield. It took me forever to figure this out! Once I found the rock and pried it out the sound was gone. Later I removed the dust shields so it wouldn't happen again.
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
    I have had that rock problem too. It was very annoying! I had some mud and small rocks stuck to my tires and as the wheel rotated around, the stuff that was hanging off the side of the tire was scraped off by the UCA bolt. The rocks fell straight down the spindle and squeezed between it and the back of the rotor. The rock then rotated inside of the rotor to the bottom where it was not small enough to squeeze between the rotor and the dust shield. So it just sat there grinding against the inner lip of the rotor and the dust shield. It took me forever to figure this out! Once I found the rock and pried it out the sound was gone. Later I removed the dust shields so it wouldn't happen again.
    ^I must needs do this.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by criket View Post
    ^I must needs do this.
    Mine looked to be part of the hub thought about cutting it out LOL

Blah... Well it grinded or the esp/abs kicked in during braking from highway speed.. looks like brakes are going to go on this friday before i head to URE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information