Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheeling and Traction Control

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar

Wheeling and Traction Control

I have never really thought about this, but what effect does this have when wheeling? I never have messed with it when off road, just kept it ON.

What is the best practice? Is it dependent on terrain? School me

Wheeling with TCS ON, or with TCS OFF?
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Can't really think about a good reason to keep it on. Turning it completely off kills the part that cuts power to the engine; that's good for on-road driving because it'll prevent the vehicle from spinning out of control.... but for offroading, whether its mud, rocks, climbing, etc, you don't want the TCS killing engine power.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Whenever I'm off roading (or in 4-low) I press and hold down the traction control button for 10 seconds until I here the chime. The dash will display ESP OFF if I recall correctly. This ONLY partially disables the traction control and is the best option for off road driving. With it partially disabled you dont have to worry about the engine bogging down and if you lose traction due to one tire being off of the ground the vehicle will still be able to have forward movement. The only way to completely disable traction control is to pull the fuse under the hood or rig up a togggle switch like I have. The only problem with totally disabling the traction control is QT II has open front/rear differentials. So once one tire comes off the ground your not going anywhere. Well unless you install a rear locker!
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 03-09-2012 at 09:15 AM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    Whenever I'm off roading (or in 4-low) I press and hold down the traction control button for 10 seconds until I here the chime. The dash will display ESP OFF if I recall correctly. This ONLY partially disables the traction control and is the best option for off road driving. With it partially disabled you dont have to worry about the engine bogging down and if you lose traction due to one tire being off of the ground the vehicle will still be able to have forward movement. The only way to completely disable traction control is to pull the fuse under the hood or rig up a togggle switch like I have. The only problem with totally disabling the traction control is QT II has open front/rear differentials. So once one tire comes off the ground your not going anywhere. Well unless you install a rear locker!
    I don't believe this to be true. You can partially disable the ESP system while driving by pressing the button. I believe you can completely shut down the system with the button, but you must be in Park to do so. I'll try to dig up a copy of the manual that explains this.

From page 141 of the 2007 owners manual:

Full Off (4WD Models Only) This mode is intended for off-highway or off-road use when ESP stability features could inhibit vehicle maneuverability due to trail conditions. This mode is entered by depressing and holding the “ESP Control Switch” for 5 seconds when the vehicle is stopped and the engine is running. After 5 seconds, the “ESP/TCS Indicator Light” will illuminate, and the _ESP OFF_ message will appear in the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC). Refer to “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)” in Section 4 of this manual.

In this mode, ESP and TCS, except for the “limited slip” feature described in the TCS section, are turned off until the vehicle reaches a speed of 40 mph (64 km/h). At 40 mph (64 km/h) the system returns to “Partial Off” mode, described above. When the vehicle speed drops below 35 mph (56 km/h) the ESP system shuts off. ESP is off at low vehicle speeds so that it will not interfere with off-road driving but ESP function returns to provide the stability feature at speeds above 40 mph (64 km/h). The “ESP/ TCS Indicator Light” will always be illuminated when ESP is off. To turn ESP on again, momentarily depress the “ESP Control Switch”. This will restore the normal “ESP On” mode of operation.

NOTE: The “ESP OFF” message will display and the audible chime will sound when the gear selector is placed into the “P” (Park) position from any position other than “P” (Park), and then moved out of the “P” (Park) position. This will occur even if the message was previously cleared.
    This pertains to working in 4-Hi. Page 142 describes the system in 4-Lo.

HTH
    Last edited by lekmedm; 03-09-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Found info
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    I don't believe this to be true. You can partially disable the ESP system while driving by pressing the button. I believe you can completely shut down the system with the button, but you must be in Park to do so. I'll try to dig up a copy of the manual that explains this.

From page 141 of the 2007 owners manual:

HTH

Thanks for the great info
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    For just rock crawling which is what I do the most just putting it in 4LO is the best option. This keeps the system on enough to grab that spinning wheel quickly and keep you moving. I've tried it with holding the button down and it didn't work to well for the rocks where you have tires off the ground all the time. For the beach I just leave it in HI and hit the button never had a problem in that configuration either. For mud and snow listen to Matt and 07jeepXK since that what they find them selves in way more then I do I avoid the stuff LOL. Also I remember reading the flow chart for the computer system and the computer is never truly off I just wish I could find that thing again.

Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post

From page 141 of the 2007 owners manual:Full Off (4WD Models Only) This mode is intended for off-highway or off-road use when ESP stability features could inhibit vehicle maneuverability due to trail conditions. This mode is entered by depressing and holding the “ESP Control Switch” for 5 seconds when the vehicle is stopped and the engine is running. After 5 seconds, the “ESP/TCS Indicator Light” will illuminate, and the _ESP OFF_ message will appear in the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC). Refer to “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)” in Section 4 of this manual.

In this mode, ESP and TCS, except for the “limited slip” feature described in the TCS section, are turned off until the vehicle reaches a speed of 40 mph (64 km/h). At 40 mph (64 km/h) the system returns to “Partial Off” mode, described above. When the vehicle speed drops below 35 mph (56 km/h) the ESP system shuts off. ESP is off at low vehicle speeds so that it will not interfere with off-road driving but ESP function returns to provide the stability feature at speeds above 40 mph (64 km/h). The “ESP/ TCS Indicator Light” will always be illuminated when ESP is off. To turn ESP on again, momentarily depress the “ESP Control Switch”. This will restore the normal “ESP On” mode of operation.

NOTE: The “ESP OFF” message will display and the audible chime will sound when the gear selector is placed into the “P” (Park) position from any position other than “P” (Park), and then moved out of the “P” (Park) position. This will occur even if the message was previously cleared.

HTH
    The only way to completely disable the traction control on our vehicles is to pull the fuse or rig a switch like I have. Trust me on this. Holding down the button until you hear the chime only completely disables the ESP. The traction control still kicks in and applies the brakes to any tire that loses traction. Every time my jeep comes off the pavement I do this method and the traction control still kicks in. My jeep see's some sort of hardcore off roading on a monthly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    For just rock crawling which is what I do the most just putting it in 4LO is the best option. This keeps the system on enough to grab that spinning wheel quickly and keep you moving. I've tried it with holding the button down and it didn't work to well for the rocks where you have tires off the ground all the time. For the beach I just leave it in HI and hit the button never had a problem in that configuration either. For mud and snow listen to Matt and 07jeepXK since that what they find them selves in way more then I do I avoid the stuff LOL. Also I remember reading the flow chart for the computer system and the computer is never truly off I just wish I could find that thing again.
    When I go to Rausch Creek, I put the XK in 4 low and hold down the traction control button until it displays ESP OFF. This only partially disables the traction control system. When a tire comes off the ground, it still applies the brakes to that wheel which kind of fools the open differential, sending power to the opposite wheel allowing you to continue moving forward. I do that method everytime I go offroading (4-low w/esp off) and have no issues climping rocks at RC.

I pulled the traction control fuse once while at RC on a blue trail and wasnt able to go anywhere. Every time a tire would lose traction it would just keep spinning and have no forward momentum. Basically you only have two wheels out of four spinning since the traction control doesnt kick in by applying the brake.
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 03-09-2012 at 12:08 PM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Keep in mind. I have a 2007 XK 4.7 liter with QT II and Im always in 4-low when off roading. I cant speak for those who have QT I or QD II or driving off road in 4 hi

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I've done that as well, It's just found the system didn't operate as quickly as I liked with the ESP button off. I played with it one time and just putting it in 4LO it grabbed the wheels faster but this would hurt you in the loose stuff where I wheel its a lot grip just off camber rock stuff. The delay in grabbing the wheels between the two settings was enough for me to settle on just putting it in 4LO. I felt that this setting with the trails I'm on it acted more like lockers then traction control the other way I felt I was waiting for the traction control to kick in.

I hear what you are saying. The way I explained was just the way I prefer when my XK is in 4-low. It doesn't mean this is the only way it can be done or the best way. It all depends on the terrain you are on.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information