Thread: Strut bolt

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

Strut bolt

Anyone have the lower strut bolt get stuck in. My twisted a little when I knocked the bolt in a bit. I could twist the bolt but couldn't get it to come out.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    It takes very little force to make the bolt nearly impossible to get out. If you have them, put some spring compressors on the coil so that the top of the strut is not contacting anything thereby putting the strut assembly in a completely neutral state (as it relates to the bolt). At this point, the only force on the bolt will be the weight of the strut assembly.... lifting/wiggling the strut assembly and a screw driver or pry bar on the head of the bolt has always worked for me- and that's on 3 different northeast vehicles, none of which were new, without fail.

Ok I'll try again but no spring compressor on hand LOL I almost had it out the first time but I think I see what was adding some pressure to the strut. I'm just trying to drop the LCA to have room for the ball joint.

A cheap $15-$20 set of compressors comes in really handy on these vehicle. May be worth your time running to a store and picking some up.

A trick I do is to put the compressors on the spring while everything is installed, then use a floor jack under the LCA to compress the suspension in small increments while I hand tighten the compresses. It takes about 10 minutes, but saves boat loads of time later.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Your local auto parts store might have a tool loan program and you can get the spring compressor for free for the day.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Make sure u put never sieze on those strut fork bolts before you put them back in. Not so much on the threads but the rest of the bolt that sits inside the bushings for the lower control arm. Rust forms inside and practically welds it together.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Thanks guys I got it out I forgot to release the UCA bolt so that helped a lot LOL

That'd do it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    That'd do it!!!
    LOL

Ok all back together now except the passenger side brakes. It also helps putting the ball joint in to disconnect the tie rod LOL

Thread Information