Eta for the wk?
    JBA
    4XG
    S4XC

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilJager View Post
    Eta for the wk?
    Need a WK in Phoenix to test fit on, I will make the owner a good deal like always
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty EvilJager's Avatar
    Lol that doesnt do me any good considering im in maryland haha i cant believe the closest person willing to lend their wk is Nathan! This is an outrage haha
    JBA
    4XG
    S4XC

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    Need a WK in Phoenix to test fit on, I will make the owner a good deal like always
    I'm going to find you one.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    I'm going to find you one.
    Fantastic!
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    This is something I have considered. Not a bad idea for the XK but not sure about the WK. There is just not much of a quarter panel on there. The corner of the bumper, fender, and taillight is what would take the abuse. If you wanted to make corner guards for the WK then you would have to incorporate the fender into it which would just complicate the design because of all the angles. But that's just the conclusion I came to. Nutserts are definitely the way to go though, seems to be what all the good companies do.
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    I started talking with Sal about another idea that could provide SOME protection for the WK's, while also making the XK even more... impervious, lol.

Since the WK IS more curved, particularly in the rear, than the XK, I thought it would be a good idea, to at least provide some protection for that window.

This would be my approach, and it has not been something I've seen on any civilian vehicle. Ideally you'd create an area that is an exact shape of the window, however you'd compensate with about an extra 1.5" so that it can be affixed to the body. This type of metal is little thinner than i'd invision so i'd say 12 gauge would work fine. Weld a trim to the perimeter that cleans up the look, and you've got some decent protection for those rear windows. The holes in the mesh itself will still provide enough visibility to see through. Even magnetic mounts could work as an alternative, for people who just want to temporarily mount them to the vehicle while they are wheeling.

As far as the fenders, I think the WK just need aftermarket fenders made out of polyethylene or some high-density plastic that can take impact. Their installation should be versatile enough to be installed on top of the already present stock fenders that slightly bulge out.

For the XK the window protection, in conjunction with the quarter panel is even more advantageous because that flat surface window back there is a lot more subject to contact than the WK's.

comments? criticisms?
    Last edited by AJeepZJ; 05-06-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I like the idea the mounting system would be the hard part.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    If you are going to go that far to protect the window, why not just get it replaced with high density plexiglass like they use on race rigs? Bye bye broken glass and it would save some top weight!
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
    If you are going to go that far to protect the window, why not just get it replaced with high density plexiglass like they use on race rigs? Bye bye broken glass and it would save some top weight!
    True but you loose the cool factor

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information