Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy Rear Disco project comes up short.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar

Easy Rear Disco project comes up short.

Well today I thought I'd work on a new project.
    All my Commander projects have progressed very slooowly, and sometimes it will be so long between working on it that I spend most of my time trying to figure out where I left off the last time !!

As I get more time I will also try to share some of my success and more "others" like this.

This project also represents the normal luck I have. My goal was to install rear disconnects. As soon as I removed my tire I knew my day had just begun ! Isn't something supposed to be connected in this next picture ??? LOL.. Oh just FYI, the missing bolt is 12mm X 1.75 X 70mm long... never thought I would need to know that...

Soooo My plan was to install a pair of JKS # 2001 disconnects that I know work on a 2 1/2 lift.. I was hoping that it would work on my 4" ... Mmmm not so fast.. with max extension ( perhaps 1/2 " or so screwed in ) I am approx. 1 3/4 " shorter than the one that came with my lift.

Now, does the shorter length really hurt and if so how much ?? How much stress is on the link and can it handle max extension ? Should I not use them at all ? Should I try to use a female coupling and a short piece of threaded rod to try and extend it ? If extended would it hold up ??

I always end up with more questions than answerers !!

I've solved most of my other " others" but needed to get more active again on the forum...so .. any and all thoughts are welcome..
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4"¯ Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I guess that would be the same as running the stock ones on a 2" lift which I and a lot guys do without problems. I also use to wheel mine connected as well never had an issue. I run without a rear sway bar now it's in the shed and apparently you've been running without one as well LOL I don't think the rear sway bar is needed if you shocks and springs are in good shape but that's me.

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    I guess that would be the same as running the stock ones on a 2" lift which I and a lot guys do without problems. I also use to wheel mine connected as well never had an issue. I run without a rear sway bar now it's in the shed and apparently you've been running without one as well LOL I don't think the rear sway bar is needed if you shocks and springs are in good shape but that's me.
    I knew a guy who DD'ed his Xj disconnected up front all day/every day. Just cant be drifting the turns lol
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Like Sal said, I dont think it would be any different then guys with 2 inch lifts running stock end links. I have those same quick disco's on my XK and have had them for years. It was one if my first mods. Another thing you could possibly do is sell those quick disco's to a member who is running a 2 inch lift and try to find some that are longer. Im not sure if they make longer ones that would work for our application, but thats something you could look into. I do know that the JKS part # 2001 is the longest one they make for the lifted TJ's
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Good information about members running stock links with a 2 " lift.

Thought maybe I already had an auto rear dico.. just not an auto reconnect !! Wonder how long it had been Off?
    No wonder why my slalom times where down ..

I looked at the new angle of the sway bar with the shorter JKS link and also didn't notice any problems with binding.

The part # 2001 I was also told, was the longest set they carry. I was also very proud of myself my doing a fair job of drilling out the sleeves ( used 15/32 bit), so return was not a valid option.. resell possible...

But.. I decided to play it safe, as suspension is not one of my strengths. I have just ordered ( don't have any good shops in my little town ) two 5/8 X 18 rod coupling nuts and rod.
    About $12. Delivery next week some time. Soo ... not sure if I will have time to install in the near future.. but when I do I'll post it.

Thanks again for all the info !!
    Last edited by 1USMC; 04-27-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Extension parts came in.!. 2" coupling and threaded rod.

Going to try this to hold them out of the way when disconnected. They are all rubber and I'm thinking they shouldn't be able to do much harm if they came loose. ( famous last words)

Fabricated a mounting strap for holder.

Just need to trim the SS bolts.
    Last edited by 1USMC; 05-08-2012 at 03:12 PM.
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4"¯ Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Found a convenient mounting nut on the passenger side.( had to have wrench on the other end of bolt).

Mounted in the "out off the way" position.

Attached to sway bar..

Drivers side....

New mounting point( top hole with bolt already removed) . Sprayed all bolts and nuts just incase.
    Also placed extra jack stand under gas tank shield as bolt holds that part of it up.

Took some cardboard and made a pattern for mounting strap ( slight angle as outlined).

Note very very precision markings for the first hole !!!

Finished product !!

[IM
    Last edited by 1USMC; 05-08-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Mounted ( Drivers side )..

Finally mounting and clearances with wheel on..

One small project completed !! I will update if I have any problems with my installation.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I like the stow away clip good idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information