Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: QD-I Question

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    So for people like me who have not used RTV in the cover... About how long are we waiting to seal it... Eould you recommend applying the RTV and then hand torqueing the bolts... Etc
    They spell it out pretty well on the back of the RTV package... but it basically goes like this (and FYI, im not a fan of RTV for sealing... but when used 'properly' i havent seen any issues):

1) Both surfaces must be clean/dry
    2) Apply RTV to cover, 1/8-1/4" bead size, and around all bolt holes
    3) Put cover on within 5 minutes (the sooner the better so it starts bonding with BOTH surfaces)
    4) HAND tighten bolts JUST enough to see the RTV squeezing out around the perimeter
    5) Wait at least an hour, then turn bolts another 1/4-1/2 rotation

For step 5 I usually wait a few hours, or overnight if possible, and then torque the bolts to spec (which usually is close to 1/2 rotation).

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    So when you change ur stuff ur not really putting fluid in it for a couple hours or the next day

Exactly. I either do my diff first then do oil change/rotation/drink beer/etc, or I do it all in the evening and first thing in the morning I'll torque the bolts and then fill it up.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I have replaced the rear differential fluid in my XK about 10 times now and have always used RTV. I clean the differential cover and the differential housing. I apply an even bead all the way around the differential housing and put the cover right on. I torque the bolts by hand, I dont need a torque wrench for those bolts to know how tight they need to be. Then within an hour I fill it with new gear oil. I have never once had a leak nor have I had any issues using rtv. If done right rtv is better then a regular gasket.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

10 times in a 2007? Well yeah if you take the cover off and reapply more than once a year you'll never have RTV problems since they usually take some more time to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    10 times in a 2007? Well yeah if you take the cover off and reapply more than once a year you'll never have RTV problems since they usually take some more time to develop.
    Yeah I have receipts for 10 different times I swapped out the fluid and just hit 105,000 miles. I just did the 10th fluid swap a little over a month ago when I replaced the rear wheel bearing/hub assembly and axle seals . I dont know if you remember but back in 2009 literally a month after I did a fluid swap i sunk the rear end of the jeep in a creek up past the breather tube. Had to replace the charcoal canister due to it being filled with water and also has to drain the gas tank. So that was an unexpected fluid swap. Also I think when I got back from one of the trips to Rausch Creek i swapped the fluid cause we played in a lot of water holes. I usually change the diff fluid every 15,000 miles. If I recall correctly thats the maintenance schedule.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Thats crazy... You've probably easily spent in fluids what I spend in gas in nearly 10 months. Excluding road trips., haha.

Member Looking for Dirt madrock's Avatar
    I ended up doing the rear differential last evening. I really wish there were separate drain/fill holes. Having to get a pump to drain and another pump to fill was a PITA.

I ended up going with Royal Purple 75w140. The stores near me were all out of Mobil 1 75w140, and I couldn't get a hold of the Amsoil reseller near me. And of course, after I bought the Royal Purple, I found it cheaper online with free shipping:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/royalp...0-gearoil.html

I just had to register my phantom Mustang
    Last edited by madrock; 05-03-2012 at 07:11 AM.
    2007 Jeep Commander Sport 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Thats crazy... You've probably easily spent in fluids what I spend in gas in nearly 10 months. Excluding road trips., haha.
    You must get some crazy gas mileage!

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    You must get some crazy gas mileage!
    AJ's gas mileage is sooo good, that he has to change out the gas in the fuel tank at every oil change to keep it from breaking down.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information