Thread: Cummins swap?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty cabledog25's Avatar

Cummins swap?

Ok so this is a long distant plan, but most of yall know i have the little ol V6 and ive been looking into doing a cummins swap. Ive seen alot of people doing 4bt swaps. I know there is enough room for the 4bt but what about fitting the bigger 6bt (12v or 24v)?

If this happens it wont be for atleast 2 or 3 years but how awesome would it be to have a cummins in a XK?

and what all would i need for the swap? any input would be greatly appreciated.

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    I really doubt you'd be able to get 6bt in there. Don't they weigh like 1000lbs also? Everything will have to be upgraded to handle the torque. Not to mention getting all the computers to work. If you really want a diesel in your XK, the best option to get it to work well would be the OM642 CRD that was available in XHs and WKs/WHs. That would be pretty pricey unless you found a wrecked one or maybe a wrecked E class or M class. The newer ones have a bigger turbo and make 455ft-lbs stock. How much power are you looking to make? With just a tune on mine, I can make 460 ft-lbs.
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

im not sure i was just looking around but i would love a fair amount of power. ive looked into a HEMI swap but too many people have that already and wanted to try something different.

Besides, after i pay off my XK ill get another DD and make the XK my toy/project

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    You could do a 6.1 SRT Hemi swap...I think there was a guy on jeepcommander.com that did one. A 3.0 CRD could definitely make 500 ft-lb with the right mods. The tranny would need to be upgraded to handle the torque though.
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Yeah i would prefer to go with a Diesel, There is not many diesel XKs in the states and it would be awesome to have one.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I don't think there are any diesel XKs in the states
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    I agree with JJ, go with an OEM CRD from a WK... I just did a quick Ebay search, looks like one can be had fairly cheap if you want to rebuild it. $1999. I saw another on there for like 3,900 but it was the CRD from a Liberty so I dont know if that would work but it could be worth the try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-3-0...866eb2&vxp=mtr
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    The 4BT might be a good little motor at that. It's about 800 lbs. though. Forget the bigger 5.9L, those are a heavy cram job in a Dodge truck, and they're so heavy the ride sucks. You wouldn't want that much weight in the front end of your off-roading Jeep. Jeese, why stop there... cram in a C7 Cat while you're at it.

Getting your hands on an export-to-Europe 3.0L CRD would be the cats a$$.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Thread Information