Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your Ultimate Jeep today - 2012

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    On Monday, I sheared all five studs off the front passenger wheel doing 75mph on the freeway! The wheel stayed on--just barely--spinning around the disk rotor til we came to a stop. The wife was driving and did a great job holding things together.

What caused it, I don't have a clue. It was pretty sudden (a few seconds). Maybe the new wheels?
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialByFire View Post
    On Monday, I sheared all five studs off the front passenger wheel doing 75mph on the freeway! The wheel stayed on--just barely--spinning around the disk rotor til we came to a stop. The wife was driving and did a great job holding things together.

What caused it, I don't have a clue. It was pretty sudden (a few seconds). Maybe the new wheels?
    Wow dude, glad you are OK! Crazy, I have had my Spacer fail at 75, and the wheel actually come off - bad boy rolled for about a half mile. Scared the S*** outta me and my brother.

Maybe the wheels weren't snugged?
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Ordered some new headlight bulbs. Mine seem to be getting worse with age, more dull yellow. Did some looking around and went with the following, based on reviews I had seen.

Went with Phillips Crystal Vision Hi's and Lo's. Also went ahead and ordered fogs too, Optilux Yellow Xenon. Will report back with a comparison picture. Not bad doing all six bulbs shipped for 70 bucks.
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    That's definitely not cool!!!

I've never heard of a properly installed wheel shearing off like that. It's normally due to not being seated on the hub properly, using the wrong lug nuts or not being torqued down.

Are you using hubcentric rings?

Senior Member Getting Dirty stites-xk's Avatar

Not cool! Glad you guys are safe and nothing bad happened.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

WOW! That's not cool bro and glad your wife had the cool nerves to hold it together. Let us know what caused it when you get it figured out.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    I'm still not sure what the cause was. The lug nuts were torqued down. There was no vibration, shimmy, or out of balance feel before it started to go, then, all of a sudden it felt like we had a blowout. Then it got worse!

All I can think is that that wheel has been on and off a lot with all the CV replacements, tire and wheel changes, rotations, etc. The lug nuts were getting pretty stiff the last time they went on. Are OEM studs insufficient for the much larger/heavier rubber? These 33 KM2's must weigh twice what the OEM 29 inchers weighed.
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Oem studs are fine for larger tires. My 33 inch MTR's are very heavy along with my steel wheels and no problems here. Was that the original hub/wheel bearing assembly? If not what brand was the original replaced with
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

swapped out my bulbs in my headlights and fogs. I went with a yellow fog, boy these things are YELLOW. Lights up real well with the mix of white and yellow.

Nice refresh to my WK's look at night.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty cabledog25's Avatar
    What fogs did you go with?

Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread Information