Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.7L V6 QT1 to QT2 Conversion.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I would like the ability to manually control my front/rear lockers so I can put them in full-lock at the push of a button
    That may be possible. Once I work through all of this. And keep in mind I have a way to manually lock a front ELSD, but I also don't have all the electronics trying to control it as you do in your Jeep. Not sure if you would get error codes bypassing the electronics?
    06 Red Jeep XK 3.7L V6 QT1, RC 2" with 1/2", 1-1/4" Wheel Spacers, Rubicon Moab Rims, Grabber AT2 LT265/70-17, Rocky Road Supersliders, Fastman Throttle-body, K&N Cold Air Filter, JBA Headers, Front Tow Hooks, 2" receiver front & rear, Wired for winch front & rear, ARB Onboard Air, Trans Temp Gauge, Aux Trans Cooler, Sport Roof Crossbars, Skid Plates, RS5010 Rear Shocks, JKS 2034 Front & 2001 Rear Disconnects

Member Looking for Dirt
    Doing some more reading in the service manual, the actual "Limp Mode" the Jeep is going into is this mode, after I shift the transmission to Neutral or Park.

Loss of Drive "Mode"
    If the TCM detects a situation that has resulted or may result in a catastrophic engine or transmission problem, the transmission is placed in the neutral position. Improper Ratio, Input Sensor Overspeed or Engine Overspeed DTCs cause the loss of drive.

I have gone back up to my post from this morning's update and revised the statements accordingly.
    06 Red Jeep XK 3.7L V6 QT1, RC 2" with 1/2", 1-1/4" Wheel Spacers, Rubicon Moab Rims, Grabber AT2 LT265/70-17, Rocky Road Supersliders, Fastman Throttle-body, K&N Cold Air Filter, JBA Headers, Front Tow Hooks, 2" receiver front & rear, Wired for winch front & rear, ARB Onboard Air, Trans Temp Gauge, Aux Trans Cooler, Sport Roof Crossbars, Skid Plates, RS5010 Rear Shocks, JKS 2034 Front & 2001 Rear Disconnects

Member Looking for Dirt
    How about this at each corner instead of trying to mount an additional tone ring and wheel sensor. I could use the relay to switch the signal to either allow straight off the wheel sensor (Hi Positions) or direct the wheel sensor signal through this conditioner to reduce the wheel sensor pulses for the 2.72 reduction?
    It has that reduction number I need 0.368. I could test this out with just one, and have it send a signal to each corner. Granted, it wouldn't allow for Traction Control since in the test all corners would be the same.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd126.htm
    Last edited by cmdr jim; 05-23-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I was actually going to mention signal conditioning earlier.... but wasn't sure if its possible to manipulate a pulse like that? (I'm sure my advanced equations professor would slap me for saying that and remind me of a basic Fourier transform that could do it....)

..... and the fact that an $85 off the shelf component can do it makes this idea very promising!

Member Looking for Dirt
    ..... and the fact that an $85 off the shelf component can do it makes this idea very promising!
    Put those ideas out here! Thinking outside the box. My thoughts as well, I found one on ebay for $80.70, I can't make many parts for $80.70. Now is the wheel sensor a square wave pulse? And does this conditioner do square waves?
    Last edited by cmdr jim; 05-23-2012 at 10:07 AM.

I'm not an electrical engineer.... but its just a hall effect sensor which is (I believe) a square waveform..

If the conditioner simply gives an output based on a multiplication of the input waveform pulse count, which it sounds like it does, most of the work is done. Just need a way to control the conditioner "on the fly"...

Member Looking for Dirt
    I'm not an electrical engineer.... but its just a hall effect sensor which is (I believe) a square waveform..

If the conditioner simply gives an output based on a multiplication of the input waveform pulse count, which it sounds like it does, most of the work is done. Just need a way to control the conditioner "on the fly"...
    I'm pretty sure you are correct on the Hall Effect switch. I'm not electrical either, just a mechanical engineer. I have an email into Dakota Digital. It appears our wheel sensors are +12vdc powered and the return signal is -12vdc. Reading their manual, it talks a lot about two wire, but one of the wires being ground and the other being the signal.

I have a way to switch between the two. Using my PLC and changing the program slightly. I can control relays to "toggle" between the two. Running the wheel signals through the conditioner if in Low range, and then bypassing the conditioner if in Hi range. I'm thinking this is all possible. Just waiting on a reply back from Dakota. Thanks Matt for the help!
    Last edited by cmdr jim; 05-23-2012 at 10:36 AM.

I'm actually working on my masters now (one class at a time!) and my professor is an electrical/controls PhD.... I should get his input. I'm sure he's consulted for much more complicated systems (actually I'm positive of that)

Good news... at lecture now and my professor is on board.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information