Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Steel Armadillo Rear Bumper and my Mod's

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar

My Steel Armadillo Rear Bumper and my Mod's

I have been VERY happy with my SA rear steel bumper. So here are a few photos of it and my minor mods.

Holes drilled for license plate holder and light power...

Primed ....

I can always count on getting help from one of my best friends !!!!!

Last edited by 1USMC; 05-12-2012 at 06:13 AM.
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4" Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

I'm sometimes end up in situations when I can have people climbing all over my rig .. so I added an extra mounting point for the end of the tire carrier.

Last edited by 1USMC; 05-11-2012 at 05:36 PM.
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4" Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    That's looking awesome! How long have you been rocking the SA rear bumper? Would love to seem some full shots of your XK.... between the 4" superlift and the rear tire on the SA bumper, that's a sweet rig!

Clip helps as a safety catch also.. trust me I need all the extra help I can get with my luck..

I was was looking at my old class 4 receiver I had removed, and decided to have the safety chain mounts cut from them and welded on the very back of the bumper. I also still retained the original attachments points that came with the SA steel bumper.

I know this one looks a little strange but the "long vertical thing" is with my hitch mounted.

Last edited by 1USMC; 05-11-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    That's looking awesome! How long have you been rocking the SA rear bumper? Would love to seem some full shots of your XK.... between the 4" superlift and the rear tire on the SA bumper, that's a sweet rig!
    Thanks.. Its been a lot of work over a long time.. so now I'm finally going to try and post my successes and " others '
    I have completed more projects i will try and post later ( dual battery, OBA etc) still have SA's sliders to install and roof rack with additional lights to wire.. and on and on and on.. you all know that story !!!
    Last edited by 1USMC; 08-30-2012 at 07:49 PM.

I always have 3-5 mobile radios ( permanent and removable) on my primary vehicle. So I decided to try and route my cables and future wires ( for b/u lights etc.) in the frame of the tire carrier. Wow.. talked to Doc ( a lot) about the internal structure etc... Figured I could make it work.. The hardest part for me was trying to figure out how to route the wiring and coax from the carrier and to some how get it into the vehicle.. OK many thoughts and approximately 6 months later I finally came upon an Ideal that I thought might work.. duel Swivel AN fittings and hose.. So far it has worked great !

Holes for wires and cables.....

Last edited by 1USMC; 05-11-2012 at 06:49 PM.

After with paint.....

Last edited by 1USMC; 05-11-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Very nice, looks like you have added a few items all over to personalize your bumper. I like the safety pin you installed, I tire carrier has released on two different occasions and a new latching system will be used on all future rear bumper sales.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Another small addition that also took some trial and error was to try to minimize the chance of my spare tire over swinging and hitting my tail light.

Sooo ....finally after ordering about 6 different ( and returning 5 ) bump stops I finally found one I thought might work for me.

Plenty of clearance fully open !!!

Just some general shots ........

I have a lot of gear that I have to drag out the back.. so I'm still slowly ( as always) thinking about what I could apply to cover the top part of the bumper just under the rear lift to help from scratching the surface.

Also some time I will figure our how to dis-arm just one back up sensor as one " See's" my spare tire.

It is a Great bumper and it has worked flawlessly for me.

I look forward to many years of good use from it !!!!

Last edited by 1USMC; 05-11-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information