Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rugged phones

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

Rugged phones

I been using the Iphone for some years now and I've broken two of them along the way. Were all pretty active out doors people here pursuing are many hobbies. Lets face it wheeling is pretty rough on our equipment all of our equipment including our phones. Then add in our other hobbies like hiking mountain biking and fishing or what ever else we do. I know now when I load my kayak for a day of fishing I leave my phone in the Jeep I do have a water proof case but it can get really hot in there and bumpy and if just a little bit of water got in it my phone would be garbage. I've tried several cases over the years which will protect against some shock but none do dust and water. Then adding the case usually means operating the phone in impaired. So I started searching for a rugged smart phone to get and the big three carriers do have some. I saw this one on Verizon site and it looked like a really nice phone. The one that ATT had seemed ok but didn't inspire confidence. So I started searching cam accross a new phone not released yet made by Caterpillar . This one seems promissing and Im looking forward to its release so I can go look at it. Right now I'm considering the cat and the G'zOne commando. What you guys think? Anyone else using a rugged phone?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I've been getting by alright... but like the direction that Casio is headed. My friend has a waterproof case for his iphone that is surprisingly slim and not bulky- hoping that catches on with some other popular smartphones.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    I just think you need a better case, bro. I've dropped mine, kicked it, drop-kicked it and including on the concrete. I've slammed the hood of my Jeep on my phone and drove down the road. Only thing I haven't been stupid enough to do is drop it in a lake.. BUT... I have spilled beer on it, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    I just think you need a better case, bro. I've dropped mine, kicked it, drop-kicked it and including on the concrete. I've slammed the hood of my Jeep on my phone and drove down the road. Only thing I haven't been stupid enough to do is drop it in a lake.. BUT... I have spilled beer on it, lol.
    For most my hobbies a case works ok but the best one I had made texting horrible. But I've been kayak fishing a lot lately and beside having the phone for emergencies some of the apps for weather and stuff would be nice to have and right now I know if I bust my phone out on the yak I'll drop it in the lake LOL a water proof rugged phone I could tether to me or a float so I don't loose it and don't have to worry about running it if I flip.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Alot of the field techs at my work love the Gzone. From my understanding it was made to be mil spec for toughness; the field tech are very bad with the phones.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Quote Originally Posted by pjmjr508 View Post
    Alot of the field techs at my work love the Gzone. From my understanding it was made to be mil spec for toughness; the field tech are very bad with the phones.
    That's my favorite one so far but I'd have to switch companies so I'm going to try and wait to see which one the cat ends up with if ATT gets it not having to switch would be a plus.

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    my brother has the gzone boulder (flip phone). and that thing is a beast. Takes actually decent photos, but its a flip phone so if you already have a smartphone I would look into that rugged smartphone.

The Boulder was great when it first came out, his party trick would be for him to drop his phone in a beer and have someone call him.. pretty crazy.
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ive gone swimming with my pos LG and shes still kickin.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    I have a Seidio case on my Galaxy SII Android phone. It's pretty tough, and all the ports have flip covers, including the camera lens. Nothing gets on the way because button extensions allow everything to be operated with the covers installed. What I like, it the whole thing can be installed and removed within about 20 seconds.

http://www.seidio.com/convert/

2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Senior Member Getting Dirty CmmdrDan's Avatar
    Just got the droid razr maxx. So ive been looking at cases. Found trident cases and they look tough. I found one on amazon that is usually 50 buckz for 20. I may be ordering it soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information