Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rugged phones

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Cases are ok but there just covering up very fragile phones. Rugged phones especially the ones built to MIL spec can be tossed in the sand submerged in the water and vibrated to death. There screens are upgraded and can take repeated drops. Even with a case on my Iphone I crap every time I drop it. Cases are a good idea but I'm looking to go beyond the case

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Dan I put the Otterbox Commuter series on my wifes HTC and like it.... doesn't add much bulk either. It's worth a look.

Sal, i hear ya on wanting a rugged phone not just a case. I'm hoping the Casio phone sold well enough for them to start developing more advanced models. I'll probably end up with an HTC like my wifes or the new Galaxy S3 and get a solid case for it... and hopefully in 2 years there'll be a few more options for rugged phones.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/30/s...roof-and-dual/

Not rugged, but waterproof at least..

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Waterproof is a key part.... lots of cases protect from shocks/hits/etc; but waterproof options are very limited.

Ill have to keep my eye on that Sony phone...

Quote Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/30/s...roof-and-dual/

Not rugged, but waterproof at least..
    That seems like a nice one. Waterproof is the main drive for me because of fishing from a kayak its just a matter of when not if I roll it. I would have the phone tethered to me or have a float tied to it. Either way it needs to survive a few minuets under water not just be splash resistant. Then having butter fingers like I do it would be nice to drop the phone and not care.

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    That seems like a nice one. Waterproof is the main drive for me because of fishing from a kayak its just a matter of when not if I roll it. I would have the phone tethered to me or have a float tied to it. Either way it needs to survive a few minuets under water not just be splash resistant. Then having butter fingers like I do it would be nice to drop the phone and not care.

Sorry its a bit late, but I forgot about this company - Local to Wilmington. http://drycase.com/

Ive seen these cases in action, while bulky they are great for the beach or pool, where its going to get wet. works like a charm
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    I use a small Otter Box for boating. The phone drops into it, and you can't use it. You can see it through the clear front cover, but it's so sealed, (SCUBA rated in fact) you can't even hear it ringing. I figure if everything goes totally wrong, at least I can find the floating phone after the boat goes down, and call for help.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

My iPhone is old and I'm not sure I want another one I've had this phone for years well at least this model I upgraded when I smashed my last one to this one the 3GS and I've cracked this screen to. I'm going to wait for the cat and Sony to hit the market at least I'm trying to wait.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I have an Otterbox on my iPhone and it has been great. Not waterproof though. Their customer service is unbelievable too. I had an issue with the belt clip and they sent me 2 in the mail. I could not remember the company I will mention next and I googled it and found Otterbox is coming out with a waterproof case. Can't wait.
    The other company is this; http://www.liquipel.com/
    They apply a micro coating to the whole thing and make it waterproof. Seems really cool but not cheap... This might be the ticket for you though.
    07 WK Limited, 3.0 CRD, QDII

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    saw this today, something to look at
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...ceCategoryId=1
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information