Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rugged phones

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmjr508 View Post
    saw this today, something to look at
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...ceCategoryId=1
    Ya that's the one I was looking at originally then saw the other two. My phone is on it's last leg I might not be able to wait for the others to hit the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    I’m glad I found this thread! I have replaced more than one cell phone myself and would like to keep an eye out for a more resilient one also.

This may be a little off topic but thought I’d pass this info along.

I noticed the Casio® G'zOne Commando phone meets” Military Standards 810G”.
    A few years ago I would have thought that meant a lot more that it does. Then I had to order electronic items like radios and make sure they where compatible with certain working environments. What a learning curve !

Wiki states claims of …"compliance with (any) MIL-STD-810 can be misleading”…
    See Wiki’s >>Applicability to consumer products << section at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIL-STD-810

The 810G water rating is > Rain drip, 15 minutes of exposure to dripping water, Using Method XXX and Procedure XXX. Most commercial products claim “compliance “ with a mil standard but rarely spend the $ and actually have it tested and get a “Certification of Compliance”. Example.. http://en.getac.com/pdf/X500_810G.pdf

One standard I now look for, is if the product has an IP rating , like; IP65.
    IP (Ingress Protection) is a two digit code. The first digit describes
    the degree of protection against access to hazardous parts and ingress of solid objects. The second digit designates the Ingress Protection against water. 0 is no protection; 6 for digit one and 8 for digit two is the highest protection.

Therefore an IP 65 rating means that the unit is: Protected against access with a wire (1.0 mm), is Dust tight and can handle Jetting water - any direction.
    See " IEC definitions" >> http://www.canarysystems.com/nsupport/canary_an4.pdf << for all the levels.

I’m hoping there is already or soon will be an affordable cell phone that advertises a hi IP rating.
    Last edited by 1USMC; 06-13-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4" Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Good info thanks for sharing
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    That military spec stuff doesn't mean anything to me anymore most my issue gear went in storage as we all bought after market gear because it performed better even are weapons were out fitted with all after market gear. I just ignore that rating but great info on that other rating system.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    ..... as we all bought after market gear because it performed better even are weapons were out fitted with all after market gear.
    So true in so many cases! Did the same !

I think the mil-standards work OK for the military as designed and legitimately tested for them.

But lately the consumer market seems to have picked up on it, and are slapping that label on everything, and like myself, until recently, I would have had no idea it was probably BS.
    Last edited by 1USMC; 06-13-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Good info!

I never even thought about reading the mil specs...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information