Thread: Surf Rod/Reel Recommendations

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

Surf Rod/Reel Recommendations

Getting into surf fishing this year and looking for some advice on starter setups for the wife and I. Would like something to use at OBX in July, then primarily NJ shore... not sure what our target species is... lol whatever we can catch!

I don't want to get rods too long where we can't handle them, but don't want to get something too short and not cast far enough. I'm 5'10" and in pretty good shape, but no weight lifter. My wife is 5'6" and is in phenomenal shape (very active with sports, used to play softball in college, etc etc) so she should be able to handle a decent sized rod (hahahahahahahaha... ok back on topic).

Are there any basic starter kits out there? Any other "must have" gear recommendations?

.... if you have some old stuff you want to get rid of too, i'm interested!

Member Looking for Dirt CT-riverrat's Avatar
    I just got new gear for my trip to Topsail Island in NC this summer. I picked up a Penn Saugus 4000, for the rod I went with Cabela's Salt Striker. Spooled it up with Powerpro 30lb test.
    07 5.7L, loaded, QDII, RR 2.25lift, Spider trax 1.5", Weston bull bar

Member Looking for Dirt CT-riverrat's Avatar
    If your looking for cheaper, I really like the Okuma Avenger, I bought mine around 10 years ago, the drag is really nice, I mostly use it for Salmon, and Steelhead in freshwater, but my wifes has held up to much saltwater striper abuse. A really nice cheaper rod would be any in the Ugly stick series.
    07 5.7L, loaded, QDII, RR 2.25lift, Spider trax 1.5", Weston bull bar

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    In surf fishing size does matter! The longer the rod the better off you are IMO. Remember your suppose to be casting where the wave first brakes over which sometimes be a little bit out there. Don't go any smaller then a 8' rod, I would go longer if was me and if your worried about transport just make sure you get a two piece rod. For a reel you have to pick what works best for you. What are you use to fishing with? most people are us to spinning reels but for surf fishing I don't like them because of the weight your throwing out there. A bait caster is easier to handle the weight of the bait and weight your using. Keep in mind for surf fishing nothing smaller then 4oz weight will work most the time. I have a spinning reel on a 8' medium heavy rod now and casting is rough compared to my bigger setups. For weights I recommend a sputnik weight there really cool and work real well they have arms on them that dig into the bottom but fold when you real them in and its a regular fishing bead that holds the legs in place. All the other weights at some point roll and get tossed around and your line will wash up 100 yards down the beach. Also pick up reel oil and line butter salt water gear is maintenance intensive you can't just get home and hang them up they get filled with sand and salt so clean and oil them like there a weapon. 25lb test should be the lightest line you fish with any thing less your asking for that big one to get away. If you're catching sharks a steel leader is needed but I don't use them because I don't want to deal with a shark so let him bite off I'm good with that. You also going to need a rod holder for the sand and you can make your own out of PVC just pound it in and set your rod in it. They sell them with folding spikes for like $10. You need a bait bucket or cooler something that food will never go in. Once shrimp warms up or soaks in the water it softens up and there heads will fall off then you can't fish with them anymore. Most outfitters bundle the rod and reel and for $80 you can get one. Getting started in fresh or salt water fishing can be expensive I say put your money into your reel and just deal with a cheaper rod until you know its something you're going to stick with. fishing line? there are tons of options out there mono braid and fluorocarbon are the most popular and all have there own knots that work with them. I only fish with fluorocarbon and I only use seaguar fluorocarbon we've tried a few brands and seaguar is the best one. The fluorocarbon is invisible in water and will sink and is low stretch. The downside is its expensive and can take a memory and needs to be treated with line butter. The hooks should be at least 4 or 5+ don't skimp on these nothing worse then a big fish getting of and you realize your hook got straightened out LOL For live bait shrimp and cut mullet are popular. If you don't want to deal with the live stuff gulp makes some good soft bait for surf fishing.

To summarize if it were me a I would get

1. Bait caster reel unless your a spinning reel guy
    2 10' rod minimum ugly stick makes some decent ones.
    3 about 4 sputnik weights till you have your knots down you might loose some.
    4 a few hooks in 4 and 5 sizes
    5 25lb+ fishing line
    6 bait live or plastic which ever you want
    7 PVC poles for holding your rods in the sand
    8 Nail clippers on a leash best line cutting tool ever

Sputnik weight you might have to weight to get closer to the water to find them.

I'm sure I forgot something but that should get ya thinking

Thanks for the input guys!

As far as rod length i've read anywhere from 12-15 feet and was leaning towards 12-13' to get us started. Don't think we'd need to go shorter unless there's a reason to?

I'm used to fishing bay & inlet.... bass, fluke, blues, etc. I'm pretty good with casting a spinning wheel. I messed around with a baitcaster when i was a teenager (won it during a game of Pogs... lol old school throwback there) but it wasn't ideal for the type of fishing i was doing.

Maybe i should get one of each-- a 12' with baitcaster and a 12' with spinner so the wife and I can see which each other prefer... then we can upgrade from there (im also debating how serious she'll get. I have a feeling ill be doing the fishing and she'll be playing with the kids)

Not new to fishing so live bait don't bother me. Biggest issue for OBX is transporting. Might put my buddy in charge of that (single dude driving up from FL)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    12' would be good for sure and for sure get the wife a spinning real I know bait caster reels advertise there anti back lash technology but I still manage to bird nest mine and I fish a couple times a week but I have my magnets turned down too so I know that don't help LOL.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i got a few combos at Dicks , cheap and good for starting out. 10' i think w/ spinning reels. dont think it had anything to do with equipment but my first tie out all i caught was a good buzz.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

I'd be good with catching that....

Thread Information