Thread: Wheel Speed Sensor Accuracy?

Member Looking for Dirt

Wheel Speed Sensor Accuracy?

With our Jeeps, what amount of deviation can our wheel speed sensors be at, before throwing error codes? 1%, 2% etc?
    06 Red Jeep XK 3.7L V6 QT1, RC 2" with 1/2", 1-1/4" Wheel Spacers, Rubicon Moab Rims, Grabber AT2 LT265/70-17, Rocky Road Supersliders, Fastman Throttle-body, K&N Cold Air Filter, JBA Headers, Front Tow Hooks, 2" receiver front & rear, Wired for winch front & rear, ARB Onboard Air, Trans Temp Gauge, Aux Trans Cooler, Sport Roof Crossbars, Skid Plates, RS5010 Rear Shocks, JKS 2034 Front & 2001 Rear Disconnects

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Because of being able to run a stock spare with bigger tires with no codes I'm going to guess at least 5%

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Who has ran the stock spare with bigger tires. I though we came to the conclusion that wouldnt be a good idea since were full time 4x4
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    Who has ran the stock spare with bigger tires. I though we came to the conclusion that wouldnt be a good idea since were full time 4x4
    Caleb blew a tire and the stock spare was all he had and on the mountain in the middle of the night we had no choice. He then had to drive over 50 miles to find a place to get a new one. He had no issues threw no codes on his search.

Member Looking for Dirt
    What size tires was he running at the time? Stock is 245/70-17 correct?

You know where I'm going with this, right guys? I have found a place for another wheel sensor and tone ring for my QT2 transfercase when it's in low lock. But the wheel sensor will be off about 2%, on all wheels. 18 teeth vs. 17.647 teeth.
    Last edited by cmdr jim; 05-31-2012 at 08:39 AM.
    06 Red Jeep XK 3.7L V6 QT1, RC 2" with 1/2", 1-1/4" Wheel Spacers, Rubicon Moab Rims, Grabber AT2 LT265/70-17, Rocky Road Supersliders, Fastman Throttle-body, K&N Cold Air Filter, JBA Headers, Front Tow Hooks, 2" receiver front & rear, Wired for winch front & rear, ARB Onboard Air, Trans Temp Gauge, Aux Trans Cooler, Sport Roof Crossbars, Skid Plates, RS5010 Rear Shocks, JKS 2034 Front & 2001 Rear Disconnects

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdr jim View Post
    What size tires was he running at the time? Stock is 245/70-17 correct?

You know where I'm going with this, right guys? I have found a place for another wheel sensor and tone ring for my QT2 transfercase when it's in low lock. But the wheel sensor will be off about 2%, on all wheels. 18 teeth vs. 17.647 teeth.

Stock is 245/65R17
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Member Looking for Dirt
    I found another approach where I will be off by only 0.3 percent. I think that will be close enough
    Last edited by cmdr jim; 05-31-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    What approach is this?

I was talking to my professor yesterday and he explained how the active wss sensors work and that their circuitry is likely capping the signal peaks to give the ABM a consistent amplitude throughout all speed ranges. He said if we can verify this with an oscilloscope or maybe even a meter, it wouldn't be difficult to make a conditioner to do exactly what we want it to do.

I could've swore I saw posts by a member here doing some testing with an oscilloscope....

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    What approach is this?

I was talking to my professor yesterday and he explained how the active wss sensors work and that their circuitry is likely capping the signal peaks to give the ABM a consistent amplitude throughout all speed ranges. He said if we can verify this with an oscilloscope or maybe even a meter, it wouldn't be difficult to make a conditioner to do exactly what we want it to do.

I could've swore I saw posts by a member here doing some testing with an oscilloscope....
    The Dakota Digital SGI-5 won't recognized the signal. It wants 0 to 12vdc or 0 to 5vdc. If you are getting somewhere with a signal conditioner that would be the best way of doing it hands down. But I'm still looking at alternative approaches as well.
    If you can do this, we should probably find out the true ratio of the NV245, they state 2.72. Just like 3.73 gears are really (41/11) or 3.7272727......
    What I am finding out is all wheel tone rings are 48 teeth per rev. If the transfercase is truely 2.72 the conditioner would need to be 1/2.72 of 48.

Thread Information