Thread: Rack and pinion needs drop on Superlift

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialByFire View Post
    I can see from the photos that the SL knuckles have the same attachment position for the tie rod and understand the reasoning why the geometry should not have changed. The UCA is mounted on the stock attachment holes but the LCA was dropped 4". The JBA UCAs do appear to drop the ball joint below where the OEM ball joint would be positioned but I'm not sure how much (1"?). The SL knuckles don't appear to be 4" longer than the OEM. Is it?
    You are looking at it wrong. I guess I should have lines up the LCA and unit bearing location instead. If you look at the location between where the unit bearing/axle would be and the tie rod mount on the OEM one compared to the SL, you will see they moved the tie rod mount up a few inches. They also extended the mounting location for the UCA. Since they dropped the diff and LCA mounts on the Jeep they had to extend the length between the upper and lower control arm mounts to match the new suspension geometry. Since the rack did not move they raised the tie rod mount up farther on the spindle to realign the steering with the new suspension geometry. So even though the rack was not lowered, the steering is still aligned because of the new spindles. Moving the rack would not be a fix but only serve to screw up the geometry. Does that make sense? It does in my head at least
    Last edited by Omelet; 06-04-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Thread Information