Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rack and pinion needs drop on Superlift

Senior Member Getting Dirty stites-xk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Probably not.... you have 1.5" spacers right? That should give you a lot of clearance around the tierod. The XK pintlers, if they are 25mm offset are like running stock wheels with 1/4" spacers in terms of the inner wheel edge location.
    I do have the 1.5" spacers. Thanks for the input I'm going to order the stuff tonight or tomorrow along with a new rack.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    Are you sure the back spacing for the XK pintlers is 5.75???
    If they're 8.5" wide and +25mm offset, yes. So they either have the wrong width, backspace or offset posted on their site.

And 5.75" backspace could cause the interference referenced in this thread, which makes me believe they have the wrong backspace posted.

An 8.5 wheel has a centerline (0mm offset) at 4.75" backspace. Add 25mm offset, which is ~1" and that changes the backspace to 5.75".

Just a quick note.... if that is indeed the root cause and the wheels are 5.75" backspace as opposed to the 5.3" backspace they [seemingly incorrectly] claim, you probably have grounds to have them swap out the wheels for the JK series which *should* work better.

Superlift clearly states in their application notes:
    New wheel with maximum backspacing of 5.5" is required for installation. Factory spare can be used as a temporary spare in emergency situations.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    They are definitely 17x8.5 inch wheels. I talked to AEV a while back because I noticed what they had posted online was incorrect. Whatever they posted for the offset didnt mathmatically add up to what they posted for the back spacing. If I recall corectly they said the offset was correct and they posted the wrong back spacing. I havent been on their website to see what its listed as lately. Ill check now.

EDIT: The website says +25 offset and 5.3 inches of back spacing. Obvioulsy they havent corrected it. Maybe next time trailbyfire has a wheel off he can just measure it. Or did he do that already and i missed it.
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 06-05-2012 at 04:02 PM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

They still claim 8.5" wide, +25mm offset and 5.3" backspace: http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/...-beadlock.html

I remember this came up a while ago because someone on JF was arguing with me, they claimed I didn't know what offset and backspace were because "according to AEV...." lol you fill in the rest

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    That's funny cause AEV admitted their website was incorrect.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    An 8.5 wheel has a centerline (0mm offset) at 4.75" backspace. Add 25mm offset, which is ~1" and that changes the backspace to 5.75".
    Wouldn't the centerline of an 8.5" wheel be at 4.25"--not 4.75"?
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    Maybe next time trailbyfire has a wheel off he can just measure it. Or did he do that already and i missed it.
    I did measure it (crudely) at one time but it is difficult to get an accurate measurement when the tire is mounted. All I could determine was that the offset was closer to 25mm than it was to 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialByFire View Post
    Wouldn't the centerline of an 8.5" wheel be at 4.25"--not 4.75"?
    No because backspace is an external measurement and width is internal.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information