Thread: McCain: Luke AFB to get fighter squads

Administrator
    Blog Entries

McCain: Luke AFB to get fighter squads

McCain: Luke AFB to get fighter squads

By: Deborah Stocks

LITCHFIELD PARK, AZ - Arizona Senator John McCain announced Thursday the Air Force has selected Luke Air Force Base as their preferred base for the new F-35 Lightning II.

McCain said in a statement that the department did not select the 162nd Fighter Wing at Tucson International Airport as one of the bases for pilot training in the Joint Strike Fighter.

“I am pleased with the selection by the Department of the Air Force of Luke Air Force Base (AFB) to be the preferred alternative for the home of pilot training of three F-35 Lighting II (Joint Strike Fighter) squadrons. While I had hoped to welcome the F-35 Lighting II to both Luke AFB and Tucson International Air Port, I understand the decision by the Department of the Air Force to defer consideration of assigning the F-35 to the 162nd Fighter Wing at Tucson IAP until a future time given the base’s critical current mission of training foreign pilots in the F-16."

McCain said the decision recognizes the support by the communities surrounding Luke Air Force Base.

“The Air Force has recognized that the unparalleled capabilities inherent to Arizona – from the Barry M. Goldwater Range, to great flying weather, and strong support from state and local governments and communities, serve to provide the best environment and the finest quality of life for our military personnel training in the Air Force’s next generation fighter. In return, Luke AFB offers the West Valley and the State of Arizona a strong economic engine contributing more than 8,000 jobs and $2.17 billion annually to the state’s economy.

McCain also said in the statement he is confident the F-35 will be stationed at Tucson International Airport at some time in the future.

“In the meantime, I will continue to work with the Department of the Air Force, the Air National Guard, and representatives of the community as well as the Tucson Airport Authority to ensure we position the base for future favorable consideration.”

Junior Member Looking for Dirt bruijr's Avatar
    That's pretty cool !!!!! I've worked for five years (2003 - 2008) at Lockheed Martin in Fort Worth during the development phase of all three variants of the F-35. I was responsible for the produceability of the In-flight-opening-doors. Some of the doors are for example the landing gear doors.

Highlight was December 15, 2006 when I witnessed First Flight of the F-35 Lightning II.

2007 4x4 Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Mods:
    OME HD Lift, 1/4" Rusty's strut plates, HD UCA's
    American Racing ATX Mojave wheels with Goodyear Duratrac 265/70 R17 tires
    Mopar skid plates & sport utility bars, 12" billet antenna

Thread Information