Thread: My first time.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar

My first time.

I’m sure everyone can or will remember their first time.

Sweaty hands, rapid breathing, elevated heart rate. Fears of failure and ecstatic enthusiasm, multiple emotions all mixed in one. You can read about it, hear your friends talk about it or perhaps even see it on TV. But until you do it yourself, you will never really know how it will turn out and how you will feel when it is over.

So here it is ……my story of ......my first time…….removing my Commanders center console, of course!

I had finally decided to try and remove the center console when looking to see if I could find a backup light switch. Unfortunately after checking all the circuits I could not find it ( I do now know how to bypass the brake/ shifter safety lock, if it ever failed Lol). Oh I now think the B/U light switch must be on the transmission not the shifter (?). Anyways the console removal, as it turned out it was easier than I had expected and wish I had tried it earlier when routing wires.

I first removed the chrome piece of plastic trim around the shifter. I have removed it so often when pulling the front console and or dash that it easy for me to do with my fingers. It has plastic feet that press into the base. You can use what I use on the center dash to gently pull up on the trim piece and even feel where it is snapped in by using something like a plastic fuse puller. I think it would be close to breaking before the trim piece ( and cheaper to replace). Disclaimer.. I haven't proved this though. I always have a fear of breaking something I pull on until I know how it is attached !!

Next is the outer trim, same easy pull up and it should be removed easily. I also put the key in and rotate it to then allow the shifter to be be moved aft. This also helps with pulling out the console itself.

This is the back sides.. note when re-installing the chrome trim, instead of trying to figure out , like a puzzle what end/ side went where, like I did at first.. just look on the bottom of the trim and it will say something like front and have arrows pointing to the front.

Now I remembered seeing a bolt under one of my cup holders ( remove rubber mat) and thought I would then remove it. I believe it was 10mm. Yes it does need to be removed.

Now as I worked my way back, I removed the 3 funny screws on the drivers side and the two on the other..

YOU DO NOT have to remove them .!!!!

Now this was what I was looking at..

So I gently tried pulling (hate doing that) and got lucky...
    Four snap push pins ( or whatever they are called) is all that held the back cover in place.

Last edited by 1USMC; 06-12-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    Mine had 4 electrical connectors to disconnect. Also notice small tab on top of panel. Pull slightly down when you remove it and slide up to install.

Now the last two small bolts at the base have a torx type head. The nuts adjust/ align by sliding for installation.

Next I lifted the back of the console up and slowly pulled backwards. I found a pair of alignment slots on each front end of the console.

This is the male end on one side of the lower dash.

This is the female ends on the console.

Its out !!!

Ah yes... now I to have fond memories of... my first time...
    Last edited by 1USMC; 06-12-2012 at 09:08 AM.
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4" Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Thread Information