Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: options for running 33s

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Dont think extended rear bumpstops will be necessary. From the sound of it, his swaybars will never be disconnected. Not to mention... Chris had his WK on a 33x12.5 tire on MOABs with only spidertrax in the front with just an RK lift.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I had to run extended bump stops on the rear of my XK. If not I would rip the rear flares right of when it articulates. On my old setup the BDS rear spacer acted like a bump stop spacer. But when I swapped in the OME coils the bump stop went back to how it was prior to being lifted. I know he has a WK but the last thing you want to do it tear up a set of brand new tires cause your rubbing on the inside of the fender
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    You can still reach full stuff with the sway bar connected, I did it all the time. Also have you ever actually measured a set of 33s? Like most tires they are not as big as they should be. When I had them on my XJ they were closer to 32s then actual 33s. And chris was running spacers in the rear originally until I recommended he remove them and roll the fender to stop his rubbing
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Quote Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
    You can still reach full stuff with the sway bar connected, I did it all the time. Also have you ever actually measured a set of 33s? Like most tires they are not as big as they should be. When I had them on my XJ they were closer to 32s then actual 33s. And chris was running spacers in the rear originally until I recommended he remove them and roll the fender to stop his rubbing
    I measured my tires the day I installed them to correct my speedometer. They measured over 32 inches but I cant remember the exact measurement. I posted it in the tire thread. But one thing you have to remember is there aren't many tires that measure out to what they are listed. With that being said the stock tires 245/65R17 are supposedly 29.5 inches tall but really only measure about 28.5 inches. So in the end, you still have to take in consideration that you are going with a tire thats almost 4 inches taller with only 2 inches of lift. As for the full stuff, you will never be able to do that on an XK running 33's with a 2 inch lift without ripping the flares right off. So I guess thats a benifit of owning a WK and having more open fenders where you can fit a bigger tire. He is a picture right after I installed the 2 inch bump stops in the rear. The tire totally stuffed inside the fender and just touches the rear of the flare. Without the bump stop spacers I would be picking both rear fender flares off the ground. Sometimes I wish I had bought a WK. Looks like I just need to work with Knappster and fab up some rear tube flares to go along with the front ones he sells so I can take out those bump stop extenders I installed. In the picture I have my JSK Quick Disconnects Connected.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Member Looking for Dirt bigmaninds's Avatar
    Just double-stack it and slip on some 35"s I have been like this for like 2 years and no problems. [/IMG]

My only argument is that he won't need extended bumpstops. Chris didn't have extended bumpstops, he didn't have monroe load levelers, and he didn't have 285's.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    NEED? No, but depending how hard he wheels it they will rub the fender if he doesn't have the right backspacing. Running the Moabs with .25" spacers and 285s was the sweet spot for the rear with the fender rolled. But most guys don't want to run a .25" spacer and the closest you an get to that with stock wheels is a 1" spacer, that's a .5" difference. I know Lifted_Up was running 285s with 1.25" spacers and had to extend the bumpstops because he was rubbing. I'm just trying to speak from experience! But please try whatever setup you want and let us know how it works out for you.
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    im planning on doing the pinch weld within the next month.... looking to run a 285 on moabs- i have 1/4" wheel spacers, but was thinking of going to 1". as for wheeling, it wouldnt be nothing serious- dont have much time to wheel. i thought i saw on JF a rig with a BB and 285s, looked legit and squatty (which i kind of like that look).

so aside from maybe a bigger BB like a RRO (since i think my daystar runs alittle on the small side), and maybe some rear monroe LLs... what else would be needed to accommodate 285s?

thanks for the help guys.
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

NEED? No, but depending how hard he wheels it they will rub the fender if he doesn't have the right backspacing. Running the Moabs with .25" spacers and 285s was the sweet spot for the rear with the fender rolled. But most guys don't want to run a .25" spacer and the closest you an get to that with stock wheels is a 1" spacer, that's a .5" difference. I know Lifted_Up was running 285s with 1.25" spacers and had to extend the bumpstops because he was rubbing. I'm just trying to speak from experience! But please try whatever setup you want and let us know how it works out for you.
    agreed. Which he stated will be minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
    im planning on doing the pinch weld within the next month.... looking to run a 285 on moabs- i have 1/4" wheel spacers, but was thinking of going to 1". as for wheeling, it wouldnt be nothing serious- dont have much time to wheel. i thought i saw on JF a rig with a BB and 285s, looked legit and squatty (which i kind of like that look).

so aside from maybe a bigger BB like a RRO (since i think my daystar runs alittle on the small side), and maybe some rear monroe LLs... what else would be needed to accommodate 285s?

thanks for the help guys.
    A set of JBA HD UCA's kinda like the ones i'll be selling here very soon!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information