Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OME shocks and struts worth the money??

OME shocks and struts worth the money??

Anyone here have the OME dampeners on their Jeep? I was considering these as the factory pieces are done. I'm a firm believer in Bilstein, but have heard lots of recommendations for these. Any opinions either direction are appreciated.

J

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Definately worth the money. Hands down, OME has the best 2 inch lift kit on the market for our vehicles. Well for any vehicle to tell you the truth. I'll be swapping over to OME at the end of summer to hold me over until I get back from Iraq. Then it will be swapped out for the 4 inch Superlift. My Bilstein shocks/sturts are pretty worn from the abuse of the past year and Id like to try out their coils since they have a higher spring rate then stock springs.

Do you plan on lifting your XK or is it already lifted? Those shocks/struts were meant to go with a 2 inch lift.
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 07-31-2010 at 06:31 PM.

I currently run the Rock Krawler 3.5" lift...more like a true 2" but it's a decent lift. I am in bad need of shocks and struts as the worn out dampeners have caused pretty sever cupping. It is my fault leaving the factory junk on there and having 30k miles on the lift and almost 30k on the tires. I am considering the OME lift springs up front as the front end could still use more height. However I don't know if anyone makes upper control arms or something to correct ball joint angles.

Junior Member Looking for Dirt bruijr's Avatar
    That's also the way I'm going. One of my front struts is leaking and I have rubbing in the back when my shocks / coils are maximal compressed. I want to go for the HD OME coils & struts / shocks.

To answer your question:
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchin hobo View Post
    However I don't know if anyone makes upper control arms or something to correct ball joint angles.
    Recently I was in contact with HM Engineering who designed and manufacured some HD UCA's for the Commander a little over a year ago. They still had some in stock but nobody to sell these for them. I bought their stock to make them available for others in need of some more Heavy Duty parts. Check out the thread in "Parts for Sale / Wanted / Trade". http://www.xk-forum.com/showthread.php?209-HD-UCA-s
    2007 4x4 Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Mods:
    OME HD Lift, 1/4" Rusty's strut plates, HD UCA's
    American Racing ATX Mojave wheels with Goodyear Duratrac 265/70 R17 tires
    Mopar skid plates & sport utility bars, 12" billet antenna

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I switched out from the Rocky Road kit to OME - I did lose a little of the height, but it's worth it. I am very pleased with the OME stuff. I have HD front and rear springs, along with the shocks/struts.

Quote Originally Posted by brendon View Post
    I switched out from the Rocky Road kit to OME - I did lose a little of the height, but it's worth it. I am very pleased with the OME stuff. I have HD front and rear springs, along with the shocks/struts.
    I'm thinking of OME too.
    How much did they lift and how is the ride compared to stock?
    Last edited by beemer9; 08-22-2010 at 05:43 PM.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brendon View Post
    Im surprised that you lost lift by swapping out with the OME lift. Especially since they are the HD's. Im slowly going to swap out my BDS with OME over the next few months as my shocks/struts are destroyed.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty Doc in AZ's Avatar
    OME sucks!!! avoid them like the plague if you can. seriously.

i've seen a lot jeeps with OME stuff and everyone hates it and wishes they had gone a different route. the shocks blow out and the springs sag.

i highly recommend the Pro-Comp 9000 shocks that are adjustable for the rear to help dampen the suspension depending on load and road conditions. unfortunately i don't have a recommendation for a front strut, but having just acquired a nissan pathfinder, i'll know in another month or so when i lift that up.
    Stone Soup Metal Works, L.L.C.
    623.939.WELD
    5037 N. 54th Ave - Suite #5 85301
    Residential - Commercial - Automotive
    See our work on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    Thats a cool tool you have there...

Although I've never had a problem with their shocks...I HATE the pro comp lifts. Very poor quality fit. Pain in the arse to align. But I've only installed a few.

Good discussion though.

J

Senior Member Getting Dirty Doc in AZ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchin hobo View Post
    Although I've never had a problem with their shocks...I HATE the pro comp lifts. Very poor quality fit. Pain in the arse to align. But I've only installed a few.

Good discussion though.

J
    i'm a distribuotor for transamerican which is the mother ship company to pro-comp. fabtech is their schtick. i asked my rep if they had fixed the issues with the chevy full size trucks. he was very straight forward and said "no, they still eat up ball joints every few thousand miles".

i sell a lot of their es3000 shocks. they are cheap and generic. there is no vehicle specific valving, it's a straight 50/50, but for rock crawling they work pretty well and at $35 each you can't beat it.

i have installed a bunch of the 9000 series and have not had a disappointed customer yet.
    Stone Soup Metal Works, L.L.C.
    623.939.WELD
    5037 N. 54th Ave - Suite #5 85301
    Residential - Commercial - Automotive
    See our work on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    Thats a cool tool you have there...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information