3 37.50%
  • 5.7L v8 Hemi

5 62.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashpaq + 5.7L Hemi = not impressed

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar

Flashpaq + 5.7L Hemi = not impressed

Hi all. I just thought I'd share my recent experience with the Superchips Flashpaq programmer.

Like some others have already posted here, the Flashpaq didn't do anything worthwhile for my Hemi. I tried the 87 Octane and Mileage XS programs (I'm not interested in the 91 Octane program). In both cases not only was my mileage worse, but I wasn't happy with the way the transmission was shifting. It felt like either it was easily slipping in to / out of gear, or perhaps the torque converter was locking / unlocking frequently. It felt weird, so now I'm back to the stock program.

So I'm wondering if my experience is typical for Hemi owners. Do those of you with the 4.7L have a different experience? Maybe someone has used this programmer on the 3.8L Wrangler?

Has anybody used the programmer for anything else other than tire size changes?
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Same here.... I'm back running the stock tune with tire size adjusted. I don't think superchips refined the 5.7L programming.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I got like 1 mpg out of the 87 tune but having to reprogram it every time I'm loaded down bugged me so I've been running stock tune now. I mounted my flash pack in the jeep right by the a pillar and use it as a gauge cluste while I drive. I monitor temps voltage and stuff like that I think it's a good use of the system it can display 4 gauges at once and this featur makes the price worh it to me.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I have the 4.7 Liter and have been running the 91 tune for years now. I wasnt impressed with the shift points of the 87 octane tune.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    I use the 91 tune & its ok, the tranny shifts feel better than stock so stayed with it. I do hope they do refine it some more to improve it. Maybe someone should include Scott from Superchips on this thread.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    Originally I was using mine when my only mods were a CAI and cat back. The three working together I could get 22mpg on the freeway. After the OME and 255s I could still consistently get 20 and at time 21mpg. I noticed a significant improvement in power too! Even after the lift and tires I could get up to speed faster than stock. It wasn't until the 295s went on that the power wasn't significant. Now with 35s the Hemi is still a beast only it struggles a little under 2000 RPMs. Any time I restore the tune back to stock I can't believe what a difference it makes. I am not sure why you guys are having such a hard time with it, but I hope you can get it figured out!
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Quote Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
    I am not sure why you guys are having such a hard time with it, but I hope you can get it figured out!
    So far the three of us who are disappointed have 2007s. You have a first year 2005.

I'd bet they refined the hemi tuning over the two year difference. The gains you feel are probably what ours feels like stock with less gains to be had in subsequent model years. (Then they changed again in 08)

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Well, I think I'll clarify my own experience a bit. I do think the engine was a bit more peppy with the tunes, but it was the shifting of the gears I wasn't happy with.

I think Matt brings up a good point. Across the years the hemi has changed just from the factory. The factory tune probably changed as well. I wonder what this means for aftermarket programming as well. It's also the reason I ask for the experience of those who have the 4.7L. With a different engine and different tune altogether, their experience may be much different.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    The only change I know of was in '09 when they added VVT, '05-08 was all the same.
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Yeah it was the 4.7L in 08 and the 5.7L in 09. Tuning changes year and year however, normally for driveability updates; sometimes there are TSB's that address certain changes that are recommended. The factory 05 tune, if never updated due to service or a TSB, is likely different than 07 factory tunes. That would explain why you feel a notable difference and we don't notice much in our 07s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information