Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to repair window switches

How to repair window switches

This is the second time it has happened (2 different doors) but I was in a hurry and never did a write up for the first. The rear passanger window wouldn't go up anymore so it was time to clean the contacts on the switch. This is a very common problem with momentary switches and relays of all sorts. Some you can repair and others you have to replace. I have seen this on limit switches as well. Any time there is a make or break of power it produces an arc on the copper contacts. Over time the contact becomes so coated it prevents the transfer of power.

This repair is all about "gentle" prying!!!!

The switch pops out of the door trim by prying on one end.
    Next you remove the switch from the bezel by prying at the tabs.

Now seperate the toggle from the housing by prying at the pivot point of the toggle.

Now remove the white plastic bottom by prying the tabs.

The circuit card will now slide out the bottom. Carefully pry the toggle off the card at the pivot point again.

Now remove the contact strips. When turned over you can see the black build up on the contact points.

Remove the build up with the magic #2 pencil eraser. This also works wonders on battery contact points for flashlights. I can't count the number of times this was the fix for NVG's or EO Tech sights.

The contact on the board can be first cleaned by breaking of a piece of eraser then scraping the pit formed by the contact point with the tip of a screwdriver or tweezers.

Carefully reinstall the contact strip then reassemble everything in reverse. Test the toggle on the circuit card before proceeding past this point.
    Everything should work good as new.

If the switch was filled with the kids pop or juice, use alcohol and some Q-tips to clean the board once dissasembled. The contact strip where it meets the toggle can be re-lubed with di-electric grease or chapstick.
    Old: 2006 Base, 4.7L, QT-II
    New: 2010 Sport, 5.7L, QT-II, Front Tow Hooks, Tow Package and 7 pin Mopar Harness ( Spliced 4 pin into harness), Mopar Skid Plates

The driver's side is basically the same but you have to pry all the black switches off to remove the circuit card. From that point you remove the toggle that needs cleaning.
    New: 2010 Sport, 5.7L, QT-II, Front Tow Hooks, Tow Package and 7 pin Mopar Harness ( Spliced 4 pin into harness), Mopar Skid Plates

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Awesome man thanks I'll give this a try my passenger switch on the drivers door only works when it wants to now.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Mine "bounces back" by closing and opening mid way if I let it go up by itself. I can control it by carefully closing it but it always bothered me. Do you know I this is related to the contacts too or is a different problem? I want to know before I open everything...
    07 WK Limited, 3.0 CRD, QDII

Senior Member Getting Dirty DetroitMarauder's Avatar
    I have a similar question. The auto up feature on my passenger window stopped working, the down works fine. Would this work for my problem too?
    2008 Jeep Commander 3.7L V6 4x4, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Bilstein Struts, Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Leveler Shocks, Rusty's Adjustable Track Bar, K&N CAI 63, Flowmaster Super 44 Offroad Muffler, Bull bar w/ driving lights.

Mine "bounces back" by closing and opening mid way if I let it go up by itself. I can control it by carefully closing it but it always bothered me. Do you know I this is related to the contacts too or is a different problem? I want to know before I open everything...
    I think your switch might be faulty. There is the chance that something is broken inside or it is possible that the contact strip slipped.

I have a similar question. The auto up feature on my passenger window stopped working, the down works fine. Would this work for my problem too?
    This is a dirty contact strip preventing the auto up and you will be able to repair the issue. The auto up has an extra contact that enables the auto function when the switch is maxed out.

Let me know if anyone needs pictures of the auto up for the driver's switch and I will pull my switch apart.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Im not trying to derail this thread. If your windows arent working right, auto up not acting right , or whatever, you can try resetting them first. Put the window all the way up and then continue holding the switch up for 20 seconds. Now put the window down and then continue holding the switch down for 20 seconds. NNow go back up and continue holding switch for 10 seconds. Now try the auto up and down and see what happens. This procedure has worked many times for myself and other owners. Some may have to adjust the time that you hold the switch ( Ive seen as much as 30 seconds and as little as 10 seconds ). Try it, its quick and easy.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Quote Originally Posted by NeilSmith View Post
    Im not trying to derail this thread. If your windows arent working right, auto up not acting right , or whatever, you can try resetting them first. Put the window all the way up and then continue holding the switch up for 20 seconds. Now put the window down and then continue holding the switch down for 20 seconds. NNow go back up and continue holding switch for 10 seconds. Now try the auto up and down and see what happens. This procedure has worked many times for myself and other owners. Some may have to adjust the time that you hold the switch ( Ive seen as much as 30 seconds and as little as 10 seconds ). Try it, its quick and easy.
    Thanks! I am gonna have to try this before disassembling everything.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixelcodex View Post
    There is a TSP for this. My XK did the same thing when it was brand new and the dealer replaced everything for me. I'm having a brain fart as to what exactly they replaced but both front door pannels had to come off. It had nothing to do with the actual buttons you press to make the windows go up and down.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Quote Originally Posted by NeilSmith View Post
    UPDATE. Remembered to try it yesterday as I was driving back home, and it solved the issue for me! The auto up works as supposed to and does not open back up halfway as it did before. I figured I would document for people who have the same problem. I will report back if the behavior returns, but so far so good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information