Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: k&n Intake Modification

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar

k&n Intake Modification

As I mentioned a few weeks ago I installed the k&n CAI series 63 and loved everything about it, the sound, gain in mpg and performance. It was recently I noticed an issue and potentially major issue. When installing CAI you remove the entire airbox exposing the underside of intake to all elements with absolutely no protection, refer to pictures below..
    From Top
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000285.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	1363
    From underneath

Name:	WP_000289.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	1364

You can see clearly anyone who wheels or even enjoys the childish drive thru puddles after a heavy rain, the issue of hydrolocking is there and inevitable. After speaking with 07jeepxk, we both agreed modifying the lower portion of the airbox would be the best idea. Tricky part was test fitting and deciding how much to trim to prevent air flow restriction but yet still providing protection from water splashing up. This is what I came up with..
    From top

Name:	WP_000290.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	1365
    From underneath

Name:	V__954A.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	1366

As you can see there is much more of a shield from underneath, still a small opening but an improvement. Thinking of maybe trimming a piece of plastic to fit that small area and creating my own splash shield for the bottom of intake so the worry is mostly gone. Ive also been considering installing the fresh intake tube for protection from the front.. hhhmmmm Im seeing a custom airbox in the very near future

Here are before/after shot from underneath:

Name:	WP_000289.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	1364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V__954A.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	1366
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    You are on the nose about it can Hydrolock your jeep, it did to mine last year so been scared to hit any water with it. I don't want to put a snorkel on so will be watching to see what you do.

Don't know if this will help you I have been playing with the idea of grafting the AEM bypass in the tube to help to prevent a hydrolocking issue.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

What Im thinking and will probably do this weekend is using some type of apoxy if anyone has a suggestion and fabricating the fresh intake tube along with bottom of airbox into one piece to protect from underneath as well as front while still providing adequate airflow to k&n. Not quite sure how its all going to work but Im going to give it a shot. Once its done Id sand it and paint to look right... Anyone who has ideas would definitely take in to consideration
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I think this will help out greatly. When we hit the trails you can just use my Jeep as a guage to how deep the water is before you go though something that might be to deep and hydrolock the engine! I'd like the performance ofa CAI but love knowing Im protected with the snorkel.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    I think this will help out greatly. When we hit the trails you can just use my Jeep as a guage to how deep the water is before you go though something that might be to deep and hydrolock the engine! I'd like the performance ofa CAI but love knowing Im protected with the snorkel.
    Looking forward to the Whispering Pines trip soon! Ill have this mod buttoned up Saturday, when you installed your snorkel I see you used some type of black bonding agent, what is that called? Im going to cut pieces of plastic and bond them together as well as trim/clean up the edges to air box so its more complete. Have any thoughts on fresh intake tube? Should I reinstall it?

Quote Originally Posted by 06JeepXKHEMI View Post
    Looking forward to the Whispering Pines trip soon! Ill have this mod buttoned up Saturday, when you installed your snorkel I see you used some type of black bonding agent, what is that called? Im going to cut pieces of plastic and bond them together as well as trim/clean up the edges to air box so its more complete. Have any thoughts on fresh intake tube? Should I reinstall it?
    I just used normal black RTV that you can buy at any auto parts store. I'm not to familiar with the fresh intake tube. Are you talking about the piece that goes on the front of the air box and sits right behind the grille?
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Yes whats the piece I am referring to.. I Think Ill be ok, will just have to be careful. Saturday I will have a better idea of what I can do and put something together.

I think that will definitely help get air to the filter. When it comes to water fording, you just need to make sure your careful when the front end of the XK enters the water (make sure its not over the bumper) and when crossing make sure the wake of the water doesnt come over the hood. Other than that theres really nothing to worry about especially since you took care of the bottom of the filter that was wide open. I think the only place that you would have to worry about in our upcoming trail rides is Lake Christy if you attend the Rausch Creek trail ride. Last time I was there I crossed it without having a snorkel and I had no issues. I just stayed to the far right where the water wasnt as deep. The best part is if you dont feel comfortable you dont need to take your jeep in there.

Being careful seems to be an ongoing topic off-road hahaha.. Ill play it by year with Lake Christy and will probably follow someone elses line thats not to deep and like you said if I dont feel comfortable I wont do it.. AS of right now that front tube is not there and its getting plenty of air to it, what I may do is just reinstall front tube for trail rides??? Its very easy the grill pops right off and this goes in. If you look at the pictures it has a flat piece in front that works as a shield almost which is why Im considering throwing it back in and maybe modding it..

Name:	WP_000292.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	1367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000294.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	1368

Thats a good idea. Will it still connect right to the lower portion of the air box since you modded it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information