I agree with Knappster about Clear Lake, it wasn't a hard run, but the pretty lake at the end was worth the trip. Take a lunch, or at least a chair and relax once you get there. The main road in off the highway had a lot of campers, but there were plenty of beavers to see, and several marmots. The high country was criss-crossed with game trails, so an early morning run would be most likely see something larger than marmots.

There were several waterfalls in the area, as well as numerous wildflowers. We stuck to the main trail, but there were several lesser used spurs in the area that looked like good places to wander and explore. I could have easily made a full day trip out of exploring this area and it appeared all of it could fairly easily be done stock.

I used my XK stock (with skid plates) for a while. My own experience was nothing compared to what I saw Consolidation do during Camp Commander. I believe he has skid plates too. My recommendation would be even if you want to leave your XK stock, at least get a 4Xgaurd front gaurd or similar to protect those radiators up front. IMHO, this is worth it even if you arent leaving pavement.