Leaving Saturday AM for our OBX vacation.... heading all the way up to Carova (so a signifacnt beach drive).

My wife just called me and told me that our friends from Maryland (with 3 kids) took their AWD minivan. I say "took" because they're currently in Alabama visiting relatives and are heading straight to OBX from there.

... I fault myself for assuming they were bringing their Explorer. Hell I should've thought about it after another one of my friends said he was going to stop by for a visit on his way home from FL, in his AWD Audii (it actually took some effort to convince him how horrible of an idea that was).

So barring the option of making them drive all the way back from Alabama up to norther MD, unpack, repack and drive down to OBX; do you guys have any ideas?

First idea is to rent a 4x4. But i'm not sure a rental company will let them leave their van there... and/or if they don't allow rentals to go on the beach

Parking garages? Is there a parking garage or something nearby to Corolla where we can leave their van? I'll have to drive down and pick them up...

Any other ideas/options? I've never been to OBX, but regardless there's not even good tow points vans for if they get stuck (otherwise I'd consider towing them up the beach!!)